• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

(19m) messy maybe at fault accident with no insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

throwaway32

I'm asking for advice. I have no idea what to do or what my next steps should be. I was involved in an accident and I had no insurance. She slammed on her brakes and didnt have a turn signal but the company did a crash investigation and deemed me at fault for following too closely and have i not admitted fault yet to anyone. After the accident I tried to get in touch with the individual and they refused contact so i waited until the insurance company sent me a letter. I called them to settle it out and they immediately referred me to a debt collector and wouldn't give me any more information. I called the debt collector and made 1 payment but never said or agreed to anything or signed anything, they put me on a weird program where I was making payments on my down payment for the overall debt which was at the time 11k. Told my bank and they recommended I get a new debit card and avoid the debt collectors so I did so. And nothing for like 5 months. Then I got a letter from a new debt collector saying it is now 17k. All the letters have said things like “ we believe you are responsible” you may be liable to pay” ect. I was never told whether the car was totaled or not and when sent an email to the insurance company they did not respond. The car I was in was new and the title had not yet been transferred in my name so the guy I bought it from said he got a letter saying the insurance company was suing me and him and he wanted to pay me 100$ to put the title in my name. When I asked for pics of the letter he kept making excuses and never sent it and I never received a letter about them suing me nor did he ever meet up with me to put the title in my name. I'm 19, have no assets, no income, and am a full time college student. The only thing in my name is a 1997 c5 corvette. Iv never used a credit card and have only paid for things in full with cash. I understand that bankruptcy might be an option

Just Blue

I'm asking for advice. I have no idea what to do or what my next steps should be. I was involved in an accident and I had no insurance. She slammed on her brakes and didnt have a turn signal but the company did a crash investigation and deemed me at fault for following too closely and have i not admitted fault yet to anyone. After the accident I tried to get in touch with the individual and they refused contact so i waited until the insurance company sent me a letter. I called them to settle it out and they immediately referred me to a debt collector and wouldn't give me any more information. I called the debt collector and made 1 payment but never said or agreed to anything or signed anything, they put me on a weird program where I was making payments on my down payment for the overall debt which was at the time 11k. Told my bank and they recommended I get a new debit card and avoid the debt collectors so I did so. And nothing for like 5 months. Then I got a letter from a new debt collector saying it is now 17k. All the letters have said things like “ we believe you are responsible” you may be liable to pay” ect. I was never told whether the car was totaled or not and when sent an email to the insurance company they did not respond. The car I was in was new and the title had not yet been transferred in my name so the guy I bought it from said he got a letter saying the insurance company was suing me and him and he wanted to pay me 100$ to put the title in my name. When I asked for pics of the letter he kept making excuses and never sent it and I never received a letter about them suing me nor did he ever meet up with me to put the title in my name. I'm 19, have no assets, no income, and am a full time college student. The only thing in my name is a 1997 c5 corvette. Iv never used a credit card and have only paid for things in full with cash. I understand that bankruptcy might be an option
What state?

adjusterjack

I understand that bankruptcy might be an option
I suggest you consult a bankruptcy attorney as it may be your best option.

In addition to the damage to the other driver's vehicle, the driver may have also suffered an injury which you aren't likely to find out about for quite a while and that could run into a lot of money.

Note that I have deleted your post on the other site to avoid parallel discussions as several of us participate on both sites.

Keep all your questions here.

quincy

11/17/2023
Thank you for answering my question, throwaway.

If I understand correctly, after the accident in November you were sued. Did you appear in court or was a default judgment entered against you?

Whatever the case, a court apparently found you liable for the accident and the final judgment was for $11,000 (plus interest). A debt collection agency currently holds the judgment and is now trying to collect on it. Is this where everything currently stands?

Bankruptcy is an option but it may not be the best option available to you. You probably would be smart to discuss your financial situation with an attorney in your area to weigh the pros and cons of filing for bankruptcy now versus making payment arrangements with the collection agency.

throwaway32

I haven't received anything about being sued only the guy i bought the car from and he failed to provided any proof the letter was real or even a photo of the letter and when i pressed further asking for it he just ignored me , im still getting letters from the collections agency

quincy

I haven't received anything about being sued only the guy i bought the car from and he failed to provided any proof the letter was real or even a photo of the letter and when i pressed further asking for it he just ignored me , im still getting letters from the collections agency
What is the collection agency collecting on if not a judgment?

You definitely need to see an attorney in your area for a personal review because something is very odd about what you are describing.

LdiJ

You definitely need to see an attorney in your area for a personal review because something is very odd about what you are describing.
Collection agencies collect on debts that are not judgements all the time. Creditors often send debts to collection rather than bothering with getting a judgement.

throwaway32

this is word for word minus personal details what the letters I have received look like
Dear Throwaway: We are following up on the loss forwarded to US by INSURANCE CO, which occurred on 11-17-2023 INSURANCE CO maintains the facts of the incident indicate that you may be liable for payments that INSURANCE CO made to its policyholder as result of the loss, INSURANCE CO believes that they are entitled to recover some or all of this- money from you. In handling this claim, comparative negligenice. faws of your state will be considered. The damage claim amount is $17,033.80. Please be advised that the damage claim amount may increase if additional payments are made by INSURANCE CO on this claim. The Department of Transportation, or appropriate entity, may have been notified of this accident. This notification may result in the suspension of your driving or registration privileges If you believe you had insurance coverage at the time of the loss, notify us by mailing back the attached page. A reply envelope is enclosed for your convenience or you may fax the information to us at . If you did not have insurance coverage at the time of the loss, you may contact our office to_discuss your options. To manage your account online, visit us at . You can pay securely online using your debit card, VISA, MasterCard@, or checking account. Our office can be reached toll free at

quincy

this is word for word minus personal details what the letters I have received look like
Dear Throwaway: We are following up on the loss forwarded to US by INSURANCE CO, which occurred on 11-17-2023 INSURANCE CO maintains the facts of the incident indicate that you may be liable for payments that INSURANCE CO made to its policyholder as result of the loss, INSURANCE CO believes that they are entitled to recover some or all of this- money from you. In handling this claim, comparative negligenice. faws of your state will be considered. The damage claim amount is $17,033.80. Please be advised that the damage claim amount may increase if additional payments are made by INSURANCE CO on this claim. The Department of Transportation, or appropriate entity, may have been notified of this accident. This notification may result in the suspension of your driving or registration privileges If you believe you had insurance coverage at the time of the loss, notify us by mailing back the attached page. A reply envelope is enclosed for your convenience or you may fax the information to us at . If you did not have insurance coverage at the time of the loss, you may contact our office to_discuss your options. To manage your account online, visit us at . You can pay securely online using your debit card, VISA, MasterCard@, or checking account. Our office can be reached toll free at
Thank you for providing the letter.

Okay, so there has been no legal finding that you are liable for the amount being demanded. The letters are informing you of the damages being claimed by the accident victim that have been paid by the accident victim’s insurance company. The insurance company is seeking reimbursement.

You should take the letters you have received to an attorney in your area and have the attorney communicate with the agency handling the claim for the insurer.

adjusterjack

Insurance companies routinely send accounts to collection agencies to avoid the expense of a lawsuit against somebody who has no insurance. The idea is that many thousands of accounts generate small payments that run into real money over time. The commissions to collection agencies is considerably less than the cost of litigation.

quincy

Insurance companies routinely send accounts to collection agencies to avoid the expense of a lawsuit against somebody who has no insurance. The idea is that many thousands of accounts generate small payments that run into real money over time. The commissions to collection agencies is considerably less than the cost of litigation.
That makes sense.

It sounds like you're facing a complex situation involving multiple aspects of debt and liability. Given your lack of insurance at the time of the accident and the subsequent legal and financial complications, it might be beneficial to consult with a legal professional who specializes in debt and personal injury cases. They can help you understand your rights and obligations, particularly regarding the validity of the debt collection efforts and potential legal actions. Additionally, they can advise you on whether bankruptcy might be a viable option to address your financial concerns and get a fresh start.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">