• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st time offense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



my son, 22, was stopped on his way to work. he had one joint (isn't that what they're called?) of marijuana. this is his first drug offense. should we hire a lawyer or rely on public defender? what can we expect?

annie from texas


Senior Member
Public defenders are lawyers. They are more experienced in criminal law than most private attorneys, and are usually very good. If your son qualifies financially for a public defenders, there is no reason to hire a private attorney. Depending on the state, he could get a fine, mandatory drug classes, probation, or drug diversion.


Thanks calatty. Kind of scary foir me. I think so for him too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential