• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 debt collectors on same debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mobbdeep

State: Arizona

Hello,

I was checking my credit score through Experian and I noticed a few things. The first thing I noticed was 2 credit agencies trying to collect on the same debt but for two different amounts. I have one agency trying to collect $258 which is the correct amount I am in debt for and then the other is $323 which is an incorrect amount. I am fully aware of what this is from and the exact amount before it went into collections. Is this normal or accurate because I'm not paying 2 agencies for the same account where this originated from.

Another thing is, I disputed a report due to an inaccurate report on my credit and the dispute was in my favor and cleared as paid. I have the email and of course original dispute information confirming this. However, I got a notice saying that I have a new collection account added to my credit score and it is regarding the same company who sent me to collections to begin with. How do I go about resolving this?

Thanks!

adjusterjack

I was checking my credit score through Experian and I noticed a few things. The first thing I noticed was 2 credit agencies trying to collect on the same debt but for two different amounts. I have one agency trying to collect $258 which is the correct amount I am in debt for and then the other is $323 which is an incorrect amount. I am fully aware of what this is from and the exact amount before it went into collections. Is this normal or accurate because I'm not paying 2 agencies for the same account where this originated from.
It's possible that the first one sold the debt to the second one and the second one has added fees which you would be obligated to pay. All I can suggest is call both and see who actually has the debt, get it in writing and dispute the one that doesn't.

Another thing is, I disputed a report due to an inaccurate report on my credit and the dispute was in my favor and cleared as paid. I have the email and of course original dispute information confirming this. However, I got a notice saying that I have a new collection account added to my credit score and it is regarding the same company who sent me to collections to begin with. How do I go about resolving this?
Dispute it again.

Or, considering how little money is involved perhaps you should consider paying your debts while they are still small. It doesn't take long for creditors to tack on fees and your $258 debt becomes a $1000 debt.

justalayman

It's possible that the first one sold the debt to the second one and the second one has added fees which you would be obligated to pay. All I can suggest is call both and see who actually has the debt, get it in writing and dispute the one that doesn't.

Dispute it again.

Or, considering how little money is involved perhaps you should consider paying your debts while they are still small. It doesn't take long for creditors to tack on fees and your $258 debt becomes a $1000 debt.
Creditors don’t get to just tack on fees unless the original contract allows for it.

adjusterjack

Collection agencies do and then extort the money by threatening gullible debtors who can't afford lawyers or don't know how to sue for violations of FDCPA.

mobbdeep

Dispute it again.

I will give them a call. The little debt is what I am wanting to pay but I am not going to pay both agencies, just one who has the debt. Also, the amount that was disputed and was in my favor was $790 and as of Feb 23rd 2019, it was reported back onto my credit report but the dispute was completed Feb 19th 2019.

Creditors don’t get to just tack on fees unless the original contract allows for it.
That's hard to believe. It was $258 for what I owed at an old apartment I lived in with my ex who was also on the lease back in July of 2018. That $258 has been sitting with the same agency for some time now who then sold it off to another agency that somehow managed to show my debt as $323 with my apartment. One agency shows $258 and the other shows $323. The correct amount from when the apartment sent me to collections was $258 and then when it got taken over by another agency, it went to $323 but shows both agencies reporting on my credit report.

Another question I have is what can be done with "closed accounts?"

quincy

... Another question I have is what can be done with "closed accounts?"
Closed accounts remain on your credit report as part of your credit history anywhere from 7 to 10 years.

If your account was closed by the creditor (generally due to poor payment record), it will be removed after 7 years. An account you close yourself (for whatever reason) can remain on your credit report for 10 years.

Often closed accounts will note who closed the account.

mobbdeep

There can be as many debt collectors as the creditor wishes to pay for.
So what you're saying is 2 collectors can try and collect on the same creditor that are showing 2 different amounts from each other? I spoke to the collector who has the higher amount of $323 and of course they told me they took over the account from the collector who reported $258 and the reason why the amount went up was because of interest. But I'm not paying anything until I can confirm that I am only responsible for paying one collector and the correct one at that.

quincy

... But I'm not paying anything until I can confirm that I am only responsible for paying one collector and the correct one at that.
That sounds smart. :)

There should only be one active collection account on a single debt - but all who have held the single debt may show up on your credit report. So you can have the original creditor (and this account should say "closed") and then you can have collection agencies that have at one time purchased the debt.

Read your credit report carefully. It should be noted who holds the debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">