• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 Health Ins Companies and still no cover?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Steve S

I arrived in this country three years ago, and took out HIns as required by my Visa regulations. My wife joined me 6 months later, she was provided with HIns by her place of work. In addition I had her added to my HIns policy as a dependent (since the cover from her Hins company was very limited). When my son was born in May 2000, all the claims for HIns were sent to my provider, I THINK this was our first mistake! Or maybe not cancelling my wifes Hins was our first mistake? We obtained preapproval for all treatments etc as required by the policy. Several months passed, and we recieved a letter saying that my company was not responsible for covering my wife during her pregnancy since she had cover with her own company. My HIns company has now requested all the money back from the doctors, hospital etc that provided service. We were told by my comapany to have the bills sent to my wifes HIns company. Today we received notification from my wifes company that they will not pay, because my wife HAD COVER PROVIDED BY MY HIns COMPANY.

Please can someone tell me how it can be that we pay two lots of HIns premiums, all on time and yet both companies claim that the other is responsible and neither will pay, leaving us with $7,000+ of expenses. This all took place whilst we were living in Maryland. I get the impression that the HIns companies are delaying answering our questions as long as possible, mean while we are getting bills from the doctors etc demanding payment. If we were to pay these bills would it adversely affect our chances of getting one or both of the HIns companies to accept responsibility for the claims? We are concerned that if we do not pay them we may end up with bad credit references, and that in the long run it may negatively impact on any future Visa/Green card application.

Any advise would be appreciated.

thanks

Steve S

ALawyer

I think I would try to sue both companies and have them explain this to a judge. I don't understand it.

One more thought. Ask you state insurance department about this. They may have some clout. It is worth a try.

[Edited by ALawyer on 02-02-2001 at 06:21 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">