• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 kids 2 different moms

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I live in Texas and i have a question about the child support that i am currently paying.

I have 2 sons and i pay support for both, i have visitation of my oldest but dont get to see the youngest one. My question is about how much support i am paying and if it was calculated correctly.

I pay 20% for the first son and health insurance. I also pay 17.5% for the second one including health insurance. with the oldest son we have a mediated agreement amount of 400 a month which is not a full 20% but i agreed to cover other expenses. I pay 595 for the second son which is 17.5%. so my total monthly cs/ms is 1139 and my yearly income is 52000. is this correct. I cant find a straight answer on how CS is calculated with 2 kids and different moms. none of the kids live with me full time.

LdiJ

I live in Texas and i have a question about the child support that i am currently paying.

I have 2 sons and i pay support for both, i have visitation of my oldest but dont get to see the youngest one. My question is about how much support i am paying and if it was calculated correctly.

I pay 20% for the first son and health insurance. I also pay 17.5% for the second one including health insurance. with the oldest son we have a mediated agreement amount of 400 a month which is not a full 20% but i agreed to cover other expenses. I pay 595 for the second son which is 17.5%. so my total monthly cs/ms is 1139 and my yearly income is 52000. is this correct. I cant find a straight answer on how CS is calculated with 2 kids and different moms. none of the kids live with me full time.
My understanding is for Texas CS is that the amount that you pay for the first child is deducted from your income before the CS for the second child is calculated. If that did not happen in your case, then you would have a reason for a modification. However, it does sound like that happened.

Even if the amount exceeds 25% total. Then it would be like 37.5% is that Right? It shouldn't matter if we mediated a lesser amount on the first one it's still 20 %

LdiJ

Even if the amount exceeds 25% total. Then it would be like 37.5% is that Right? It shouldn't matter if we mediated a lesser amount on the first one it's still 20 %
Yes, even if it exceeds 25% total. 25% only applies if you have two children with the same mother.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The way it generally works is like this. After the first order is calculated, the ordered amount is deducted from your available income (as defined by your state's CS calculation). The second order is then based on that new available income - at the rate required for one child.

So.... suppose your base available income (for CS purposes) is $1,000/mo. If the state requires that you pay 20% for the first order, you would pay $200/mo for that child.

Then, when you have a second child to support from a second mother, your base income for THAT order is $1,000 minus $200, or $800/mo. You would be ordered to pay 20% of that $800, or $160/mo. So, in total, between the two orders, you would be paying $360/mo or 36% of your available income.

And so on, if you have more children from more mothers (something I would strongly advise against).

Now, the 25% only comes into play if you have a second child with either mother.

NOTE (and this is an important NOTE!): When the court speaks of a month, it is NOT four (4) weeks. Rather, it is 4.3 weeks (52 weeks/year divided by 12 months = 4.3).

The way it generally works is like this. After the first order is calculated, the ordered amount is deducted from your available income (as defined by your state's CS calculation). The second order is then based on that new available income - at the rate required for one child.

So.... suppose your base available income (for CS purposes) is $1,000/mo. If the state requires that you pay 20% for the first order, you would pay $200/mo for that child.

Then, when you have a second child to support from a second mother, your base income for THAT order is $1,000 minus $200, or $800/mo. You would be ordered to pay 20% of that $800, or $160/mo. So, in total, between the two orders, you would be paying $360/mo or 36% of your available income.

And so on, if you have more children from more mothers (something I would strongly advise against).

Now, the 25% only comes into play if you have a second child with either mother.

NOTE (and this is an important NOTE!): When the court speaks of a month, it is NOT four (4) weeks. Rather, it is 4.3 weeks (52 weeks/year divided by 12 months = 4.3).

thanks this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">