• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 marijuana cases - any advice would be greatly appreciated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rmvi

NJ. I'm not asking for your compassion. I Know what i did was wrong, and i'm very stupid for digging myself into this mess. I really need help understanding what i am up against, so i can prepare myself. I am 21 years old.

Case 1 - Court date 9/18/2018

06/04/18
39:3-61(K) - Inadequate License Plate Illumination
39:4-49.1 - Operation Of Motor Vehicle While In Possession/narcotic

Case 2 - Court date 10/2/2018

08/31/18
39:3-4 - Driving Or Parking Unregistered Motor Vehicle
39:4-49.1 - Operation Of Motor Vehicle While In Possession/narcotic

http://norml.org/laws/item/new-jersey-penalties-2

Possession

Offense Penalty Incarceration Max. Fine

50 g or less Disorderly Person 6 months $1,000

My lawyer told me to keep calm because he will do his best to keep the consequences at a minimum. He also said he can't predict what will happen until we go through with it because at the end of the day it is the judges decision.

He's familiar with the prosecutors in both cities.

I am scared and anxious, i'm not a bad person. i took for granted how serious this is and i made a mistake.

commentator

I gather there's no question here that wouldn't require crystal ball gazing. You have an attorney who is quite familiar as you say with the prosecutors in both cities, and you are paying him, you need to listen to him and have faith in his judgment and advice. In the meantime, you are obviously terribly anxious and overthinking what may happen to you. Instead of trying to get prognosticators on the internet to discuss your situation (but totally without judgment, of course!) I strongly suggest you do something instead to relieve your anxiety and move forward productively instead of brooding on line.

Just Blue

I gather there's no question here that wouldn't require crystal ball gazing. You have an attorney who is quite familiar as you say with the prosecutors in both cities, and you are paying him, you need to listen to him and have faith in his judgment and advice. In the meantime, you are obviously terribly anxious and overthinking what may happen to you. Instead of trying to get prognosticators on the internet to discuss your situation (but totally without judgment, of course!) I strongly suggest you do something instead to relieve your anxiety and move forward productively instead of brooding on line.
To add to the ^ posting. DO NOT relieve your anxiety by doing drugs. Also stop posting your criminal matters on the net. I bet your attorney would be pissed if s/he knew you did this.

FlyingRon

I would expect you better find another way to get around other than driving. You'll get four years worth of suspension for the drug charge and 6-12 months on the registration beef. Listen to your attorney and STOP BREAKING THE LAW.

commentator

Just givin the person more anxiety here! ;)

But since it's tomorrow, I would suggest you get some exercise, eat well and get a good night's sleep tonight, Wear nice clothing that fits to court, Good shoes. Be EARLY, not even just on time. LEAVE ALL ELECTRONICS OUTSIDE IN THE CAR, not even "in your pocket turned off" will do. And be as neatly and traditionally groomed as the proverbial door to door missionary. In other words, use your three or four seconds of first impression to present a person who is sincerely "not this way" and has completely been changed and motivated by the awfulness of their offenses.

And do not open your mouth unless addressed directly by the court, at which time, a simple yes your honor or no your honor or thank you your honor will do. Let your attorney do the talking for you. Hopefully you have corrected both the license plate illumination issue and the unregistered vehicle issue. Be expecting on-going drug testing to see if you've done anything about the substance use. And I notice a "disorderly" thing too, which is why you are trying to convince this authority that this was a total aberration from your usual behavior. And why your attorney needs to do all the talking if possible.

FlyingRon

Commentator: This is New Jersey. "Disorderly persons" is a class of offense that these charges fit into, roughly the same as a misdemeanor, 6 months in jail and $1,000 fine. Lesser charges are "petty disorderly persons" (30 days/$500). NJ's version of a felony is called an indictable crime or sometimes just "a crime."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">