• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 questions about life insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eslmichaelb

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan

My fiance passed away in January of 2005. I was teaching abroad when this happened. She had named me as the pri**** beneficiary of her policy. This case has been called a suspicious death by the local authorities who are still investigating this. The official determination of cause of death has not been decided yet. The insurance company is awaiting this before they will consider the proceeds. Miy first question is this. What if any is the limit of time the insurance company can delay the proceeds? I've heard it was a year I've heard longer. I've spoken with the authorities recently on the status of this case and they say that they are trying to wrap up the investigation. My fiance named a secondary beneficiary on the same policy. She named her little sister who is 7 years old. Her Mom and dad tried to file a counter claim against my portion of the proceeds on the grounds that I wasn't in the country when she passed away. The insurance company denied the counter claim on the grounds that she (my fiance) never tried to change the policy. My second question is this. What rights if any do her parents have towards my portion of the proceeds? I've read that Michigan law is very firm on this subject. I realize this is kind of a complicated situation but if any has knowledge of this, or how things like it have been handled before I'd greatly appreciate hearing it. Thanks in advance.

somarco

eslmichaelb said:
What if any is the limit of time the insurance company can delay the proceeds? What rights if any do her parents have towards my portion of the proceeds?

The carrier can take as long as they wish to complete the investigation.

Until there is an official cause of death, they will not pay. If the authorities determine a named beneficiary had any connection in contributing to the death of the insured, the carrier is within their rights to withhold payment to that named beneficiary.

The parents have no claim against the proceeds if the named beneficiaries are within their legal right to receive the proceeds.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">