• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 Questions Re: CC % rates and beacon scores

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TxMsLady

What is the name of your state? AR

My first question: A coworker once told me that by having too many unsecured debt accounts open, regardless of the fact that they have a zero balance, that it will lower your beacon score....and that we should contact accounts with $0 balance and have them closed completely to improve our score...Can this be done?

2nd Question: My husband and I have 2 Chase accounts and we received the statements the other day showing where they had gone from 7.9% to 15.9% and the other from 9.9% to 25.9%!! We are, nor have we ever been late with payments.....despite the fact that my husband lost his job in Feb. and we went 2 months without getting behind on ANY of our bills. When I called and asked why the rates went up since we've not defaulted, the man stated that it was because of our debt ratio that the % rates went up. Can this be done? I thought they would only do that if someone was late on payments. We're operating on 1/2 the salary we had before, so this will make it impossible to get the things paid off. We've relocated out of state for him to take on a new job and I'm looking now, but that's beside the point. We will make our bills, but it feels like a slap in the face after all we've been through trying to keep our good credit. I've never had less than excellent credit, and I don't want to start now. Please don't chop me to mincemeat here... :). Just looking to do what's right and pay the things off. Can someone tell me if they can raise the % rate like this? When we moved to another state and bought land and a home in May, all the credit checks were done at that time....Why would they wait 3 months afterwards to up the %? Thanks in advance. (Sorry...I don't mean to be whiny)

bigun

Yep, they can change the interest rate at will. The lag time may be just the Account Review cycle you're on ddin't pick up the additional debt for a time.
I wouldn't close any old accounts because, a factor in credit scoring is account age .

TxMsLady

Just our luck....Thanks for the reply. Just trying to decide what's the best way to make this as less painful as we can. A personal loan to pay off debt, home equity loan (hate tying the house up) or, we have acerage that we can use as collateral for a loan...but it's in TX and would have to take out a loan there. Any suggestions would appreciated.

kwalla

Just my 2 cents...

Moving unsecured debt (credit cards, etc) to a secured dect (especially when the collateral is your home) is a bad idea. You don't know what the future could bring and attaching that kind of liability to your home is a bad idea.

I agree that there are some benefits (tax deductable interest and usually a lower interest rate) but I think the risks far outweigh the gain.

If you have good credit, shop around for a card with low interest on balance transfers (for the life of the transfer). I think that would be your best bet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">