• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 ?'s VA benifits and the Delayed Entry Program

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Excort_xavier

I am in the Airforce
I am getting out with general (Under Honarable Conditions). I heard that I am considered a veteran because I am passed my 180 days. I have been in for 7 months Active duty. Is this true and what benefits do I have?

Also, I was in the delayed entry program for nine months. It was in my contract that it counted toward time served. I figure that it is toward my reserve time, but it is still time served. Is there any documentation that I should have besides the contract to show that I have those nine months to show as proof to the civilisn world.

fozzy2

As far as MGIB educational benefits you get zero. The law now states that you must have an "honorable" to collect on them. No, a "general (under honorable)" doesn't qualify. Any money you paid in was lost. However, 180 days active used to be (I haven't checked in a while) the basic point for becoming a 'veteran' as far as VA benefits were generally applied. You retain many/most general VA benefits with a general discharge. Time in DEP really counts for nothing as far as benefits, etc. are considered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">