• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

20 year old fine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maesin

Hello, I have an interesting situation.

Today I was called by a collection agency. I was told I owed an amount of approx $200 to a country disctict court in Pa where I used to live. The man on the phone said he was unable to find any information as he was searching public records for the case number and asked me if I knew anything about it, which I said I did not.

I contacted the court and they informed me I had an outstanding fine of $193 from a disorderly conduct fine from 2003. I sort of remember that, but I am pretty sure I paid that 20 years ago, of course I have no proof of that because of how long ago it was. I moved out of Pa about 18 years ago.

This fine went to the collection agency about 6 weeks ago, March 2023.

My question here, of course, is what should be my action on this? I would have no problem paying the court the amount due just to make it go away, but the girl I spoke with at the court said I would have to settle this with the collection agency, which from a little research, I found they are a very shady business, known to sell information and such. Can the collection agency legally report a collection to the credit bureuau on a debt they just aquired, however is about 20 years old.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">