• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2014 Home Office Deductions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ckmistry88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS

Going into 2014, I am looking to claim home office deductions. I do my everyday work functions from my home "office" which is currently my room; use my own ISP connection to do work, use electricity, water, etc....I am not self-employed, and do work for an employer but I work from home almost everyday (probably go in to work 2 days out of each month). Simply put, do I qualify? Is anyone else in the same situation I am in?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS

Going into 2014, I am looking to claim home office deductions. I do my everyday work functions from my home "office" which is currently my room; use my own ISP connection to do work, use electricity, water, etc....I am not self-employed, and do work for an employer but I work from home almost everyday (probably go in to work 2 days out of each month). Simply put, do I qualify? Is anyone else in the same situation I am in?
Are you in a rooming house? Or do you rent an appartment?

Q1. I, in my own,( not of your state), POV..Yes
Q2. Well...Yes. Many many people are in your situation. ...(sorry...I was watching Police Academy):)

davew128

Home offices should be separate entities in the home. Your bedroom does not qualify.
I'm sure the space where the work gets done might qualify.

I think the REAL issue with this home office is the convenience for the employer test. If you work from home because your employer allows you to rather than its the only way you could do the work, you won't qualify.

LdiJ

I think the REAL issue with this home office is the convenience for the employer test. If you work from home because your employer allows you to rather than its the only way you could do the work, you won't qualify.
That really isn't totally accurate Zig. Its not that quite hard and fast.

I will also add that home office deductions are really not as valuable as people tend to think that they are. The average home office deduction doesn't save someone more than a couple of hundred dollars at best.

However, since 2013 there is the new safe harbor office in the home deduction. It is 5 dollars per square foot of designated home office expense (up to 300 square ft).

ckmistry88

Are you in a rooming house? Or do you rent an appartment?

Q1. I, in my own,( not of your state), POV..Yes
Q2. Well...Yes. Many many people are in your situation. ...(sorry...I was watching Police Academy):)
I am in a rooming house - I work out of my old bedroom.

ckmistry88

Yes, this is my situation. I can go in but my entire team is remote and we all work from home and we don't always have all the resources we need at the office. Can I somehow still qualify?

davew128

Yes, this is my situation. I can go in but my entire team is remote and we all work from home and we don't always have all the resources we need at the office. Can I somehow still qualify?
It sounds like its for YOUR convenience which makes it nondeductible.

LdiJ

It sounds like its for YOUR convenience which makes it nondeductible.
You could be right, but I think that the fact that they might not have the resources that they need at the office leaves it open a bit...and the fact that the entire team works remotely. If there would be enough workstations with all of the proper resources at the office, for the entire team to work at the office, then I agree with you. If not, then I do not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">