• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2019 Estimated Tax Payment Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toppscollector

My wife and I filed Federal Taxes married but separately. I paid our 2019 Estimated taxes with one check and one form. I only put my SSN on it. Will this an issues for the IRS to know how to apply payment since we filed separately. Thx

LdiJ

My wife and I filed Federal Taxes married but separately. I paid our 2019 Estimated taxes with one check and one form. I only put my SSN on it. Will this an issues for the IRS to know how to apply payment since we filed separately. Thx
The estimated taxes you paid in will apply toward your separate return only. Your wife will get no credit for having paid any estimated taxes on her separate return. Unless of course you decide to file a joint return for 2019. In that case, it won't matter that only your SSN was attached to the payment.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
It won't be an issue for the IRS. You made a payment on a check with your name on it and your SSN. It will credit that you. If you file separate returns, that credit goes to your separate return. If she needs to make estimated payments, she needs to submit a 1040-ES voucher and check with her SSN on it.

Filing separately usually ends up costing more in tax between the two of you than filing jointly would.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">