• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

$2377.17 in damages!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RobinHaupt

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
I have just been charged $2377.17 in 'damages'! I have been charged $285.50 in 'cleaning'. $100 to clean a stove, $80 to wash out Kitchen cupboards, $105.50 to clean carpets - we cleaned all! The apartment was cleaned! Charged for 8 florescent bulbs when only 1 was out. $120 in 'fixing holes in walls'. No holes in walls. $100 in screens that were broke when I moved in. $40 for a patio door that was broke when I moved in. Is this something I can take to small claims and win??????

BL

Do you have before move in and moving out pictures ?
Do you have a walk through ck. list signed on move in/out ?

Did they provide you with proof of damages ?

RobinHaupt

No - he didn't do anything like that. He said to move in and we would go through it later. He was there numerous times over the last 3 years and I would comment on the things that needed to be done and he would say he would fix it. When I moved out he was no where to be found. I tried to find him but he turned his cell phone off on me! He just sent me a 'bill.' I am requesting receipts but he did the work himself!

BL

Well , send a Return Receipt request Certified Letter , and state what you did here , and advice him you will not pay and If he pursues these phony charges , you will defend yourself in Court .

By the Way , did you pay a security Deposit that the LL is with holding ?

If it comes down to it , let the Court Decide .

south

A tenants idea of clean and undamaged when leaving a unit is often different to reality!!! !!! ! ! !!!!

This one sounds !!! like it will end up in court and you will have to prove the unit was in perfect condition when you left!!!!!!!!!! !! ! ! !

I think you will lose in court all the landlord has to do is justify the time spent on the unit, the time he could not rent it because it was not ready etc etc!! ! ! ! ! !

RobinHaupt said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
I have just been charged $2377.17 in 'damages'! I have been charged $285.50 in 'cleaning'. $100 to clean a stove, $80 to wash out Kitchen cupboards, $105.50 to clean carpets - we cleaned all! The apartment was cleaned! Charged for 8 florescent bulbs when only 1 was out. $120 in 'fixing holes in walls'. No holes in walls. $100 in screens that were broke when I moved in. $40 for a patio door that was broke when I moved in. Is this something I can take to small claims and win??????

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">