• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

25 ft from crosswalk

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jd3e1o

What is the name of your state?New Jersey. I haven't been driving long on NJ came from NY. I parked and got a ticket saying "39:4-138E Improper Parking Within 25 FT of crosswalk. On the street i was parked there is no crosswalk. But it is a T street. No crosswalk on my street but on the T there is. I can post pics if it would help.

FlyingRon

New Jersey is one of the states that don't require crosswalks to be painted on the street to enforce rules regarding them. It is "A crosswalk is an extension of the road, sidewalk, curb or edge of the shoulder at an intersection for people on foot. Crosswalks may be either marked or unmarked. "
Further 39:4-138(e) doesn't even require a crosswalk. It just makes it illegal to park Within 25 feet of the nearest crosswalk or side line of a street or intersecting highway

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state?New Jersey. I haven't been driving long on NJ came from NY. I parked and got a ticket saying "39:4-138E Improper Parking Within 25 FT of crosswalk. On the street i was parked there is no crosswalk. But it is a T street. No crosswalk on my street but on the T there is. I can post pics if it would help.
That's what's called an "unmarked crosswalk". Crosswalks don't need to have lines painted on the ground.

From https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2013/title-39/section-39-1-1/:

"Crosswalk" means that part of a highway at an intersection, either marked or unmarked existing at each approach of every roadway intersection, included within the connections of the lateral lines of the sidewalks on opposite sides of the highway measured from the curbs or, in the absence of curbs, from the edges of the shoulder, or, if none, from the edges of the roadway; also, any portion of a highway at an intersection or elsewhere distinctly indicated for pedestrian crossing by lines or other marking on the surface.

FlyingRon

Most states (including the OP's native New York) are the same in this respect.
Yep, and as I stated, the statute he violated doesn't even require a crosswalk, just an intersection even without sidewalks (though the unmarked crosswalk probably extends the no parking zone a few more feet).

PayrollHRGuy

e. (1) Within 25 feet of the nearest crosswalk or side line of a street or intersecting highway, except at alleys and as provided in section 2 of P.L.2009, c.257 (C.39:4-138.6); or

(2)Within 10 feet of the nearest crosswalk or side line of a street or intersecting highway, if a curb extension or bulbout has been constructed at that crosswalk;

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yep, and as I stated, the statute he violated doesn't even require a crosswalk, just an intersection even without sidewalks (though the unmarked crosswalk probably extends the no parking zone a few more feet).
I wanted the OP to be aware that his (inferred) claim that New York is different than New Jersey with regard to marked/unmarked crosswalks is incorrect.

FlyingRon

The red car is similarly illegally parked. You can't park with 25' of a crosswalk (marked or unmarked) or the sideline of an intersecting street. New York law is pretty much the same except it's only 20' from an intersection or crosswalk. In NY, it's illegal to even stop in a crosswalk (NJ just bars parking and standing there).

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I wanted the OP to be aware that his (inferred) claim that New York is different than New Jersey with regard to marked/unmarked crosswalks is incorrect.
What OP may be confused about is that some areas more strictly enforce the laws on the books than others, depending on the municipality.

I know that they are not particularly strict in my municipality. Unfortunately, ignorance of the law is not a valid defense for OP, and neither is, "other people were doing it".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">