• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

26 years paid in and denied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kkannell

What is the name of your state?
Georgia
Okay so this may be hard to follow buy lets gove it a go. My mom passed away, suddenly, last year. She had retired the november prior to her passing in March, however, did not recieve her first retirement check until the morning after her death. She had also went on long term disability before she finally reached retirement. She dedicated 26 years of service to the state of Georgia all of which a policy was paid into. She was denied because after her retirement in november evidently she was to start paying her premium privately but she hadnt started receiving a retirement check. I don't know where to start but there will be some sort of justice. I would be willing to donate the qhole amount to the foundation she admired here locally just so they have to pay it because she only kept working there the last 15 years because she had so much money invested in the lifw insurance and other retirement funds. She didnt get to see a penny of all hwr hard work and Im having a hard time accepting that. Please help. 1

adjusterjack

Condolences.

Sorry, but you will have to review the state's employee benefit programs. Nobody here can do that for you nor can anybody guess (to any helpful extent) what went wrong.

Disability payments stop when a person dies.

If there was life insurance that had to be paid for and the payment wasn't made, it lapsed and nothing would get paid.

As for any pension, depending on how it was written up, it could also stop at death.

HRZ

Are you saying her life insurance policy was cancelled after she retired because she failed to make timely private payments to maintain it if such was an option to her under the plan ? IT may be unfortunate but if she allowed it to lapse ...it lapsed.

Its common that life insurance ends when you leave/retire

FlyingRon

The Georgia employees life insurance seems to be a term life and AD&D policy. Such life insurance isn't an "investment." If you don't die (or are dismembered) during the payment period, the payment is essentially gone. It's like your car insurance. If you don't wreck during the policy period, your money is gone. The base amount isn't even paid by the employee, it's an employer-paid benefit (the State does offer you to purchase additional coverage if you like). All this goes away once you leave the employment of the state. Unlike medical insurance through COBRA, there's no provision for you to pay it yourself afterward (you can go and purchase it elsewhere).

Her estate is entitled to all retirement payments she was due up until the time she died. There is a survivor benefit to the retirement plan, but what it depends on what options she chose while she was employed. If she was married, the spouse almost certainly is entitled to something. If she was not and listed someone as a beneficiary, they would get the money as determined by the plan.

HRZ

THere are provisions to automatically extend group life insurance for long term employees ( 18 years or more ) in GA and extra liberal coverage provisions for disability retirements...but you really need somebody with a solid working knowledge of her plan and her specific work history to review the issues .

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
What is the name of your state?
Georgia
Okay so this may be hard to follow buy lets gove it a go. My mom passed away, suddenly, last year. She had retired the november prior to her passing in March, however, did not recieve her first retirement check until the morning after her death. She had also went on long term disability before she finally reached retirement. She dedicated 26 years of service to the state of Georgia all of which a policy was paid into. She was denied because after her retirement in november evidently she was to start paying her premium privately but she hadnt started receiving a retirement check. I don't know where to start but there will be some sort of justice. I would be willing to donate the qhole amount to the foundation she admired here locally just so they have to pay it because she only kept working there the last 15 years because she had so much money invested in the lifw insurance and other retirement funds. She didnt get to see a penny of all hwr hard work and Im having a hard time accepting that. Please help. 1
My condolences on the loss of your mother, but it sounds like she failed to make the payment for 4 or 5 months. It's unfortunate, but not surprising that her policy was cancelled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">