• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

27 year old child support case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? New Jersey
In 75' when I was seventeen, a girl I was dating became pregnant and her mother accused me because she knew we were seeing each other. She turned me in to the court system who said I was more or less guilty till proven innocent. As I was protecting myself during intercourse with this girl I denied to the probation dept. that I was the father. They told me it was up to me to prove I wasn't the father and would have to hire an attorney and pay for paternity tests. After consulting a couple attorneys I was Given costs of approx 4-5000 dollars for representation. At that time this was way out of reach for me and I was ordered to pay child support. I ignored the it only to end up in court a few times for enforcement. I ended up marrying the girl by elopement in order to escape the courts (stupid move I know!). We were only together for about a year then separated. Finally in 85' I got blood tests and proved the child was not mine and got a divorce from the girl. I was told that as of that day I did not owe child support but was still liable for past support. They are still trying to put liens on me for this to this day and it's affecting my life terribly. Is it possible for me to get this stricken from my record. I denied this from the start and feel I was a victim of circumstance...Please help, Thanks, Bert.


Senior Member
Bert, you are definitely going to need an attorney for this case. Make a list of important information and questions and call several attornies for a free consultation. Once you find one who you can afford and who is able to help you, hire him/her.

You will likely need someone who has been practicing family law for a long time. Since the support order is so old, the order may fall under old laws, which may or may not be to your benefit.

You did keep copies of all pertinent paperwork, right? Do not ever lose or throw away any paperwork involved in this case.

Hiring an attorney could save you....don't delay, start making calls.


Thanks for your reply, Yes, I have qiute a bit of paperwork saved over the years from this including the paternity test that wasn't ordered by the court until 1992 unfortunately! I've had quite a few people say they believe I might have a case because for one, I was a minor at the time. Hopefully this will help. I am consulting with different attorney's in hopes of finding one that will beat this. Thanks again, Bert...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential