• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2nd time speeding in NY, PA license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

For the first time, I've been scared of losing my license. I am from PA and I currently attend a college at Rochester, NY. I need a car to drive around to school and stores, as well as getting around.

Six months ago, I was driving back home to PA from Rochester, and got pulled over for speeding 21 points over 55, when I thought it was 65mph. No problem, I thought, because I don't usually drive home that often and I am usually good on the road.

However, today on a usually empty road in Rochester, NY, a cop surprised me and pulled me over for speeding 24 points over and my destination was only around the corner. I feel this is rotten luck for me, but might be well-deserving for me to be careless of the law.

However, my dilemma is, both those violations are worth 6 points each. That covers 12 points, and that means I might lose my license... or at least the right to drive in New York.

My options as I see are:
1) Pay the ticket and accept the loss of my license for a few months, depend on friends for rides to college since I'm off campus till winter or something
2) Leave the state, and go to another college or work for a bit (I still have to meet some cooperative education jobs)

Only thing is... I don't know if #2 is realistic. PA might revoke my license all over USA for all I know, although I don't think they record out-of-state speeding citations.

Are there any other options I'm overlooking? Like Defensive driving courses or something? What can I do in this situation?

I've looked over various threads but I didn't find a situation similar to mine, so I was hoping one of you could answer/help me out.


dok holidae


Junior Member
I just found out I could apply for a restricted permit that allows me to drive to school only... I'm currently looking into that. That may clearly become option #3.

Just thought I'll give an update on my, uh, situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential