• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

$3.27/min to call Poland via AT&T! Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mjp2

What is the name of your state? ILLINOIS

Please help.

We're signed up with AT&T but haven't chosen any of their international call savings plans- just had basic long distance. We have always used calling cards. Then, we have made a few phone calls to Poland.

The bill came, and as you an imagine, we were completely taken aback by the amount AT&T charged us per minute: $3.27!

We had also known when one signs up to one of their plans at $3.95/month then a minute to Poland costs only 20 cents.

What can we do? Can we try to negotiate with AT&T? If so, what arguments can we use?
Isn't it a case of price gouging? State's Attorney?
What other options do we have short of paying this horrrendous bill?

We will appreciate all responses form people in the know or with similar past experience.

Thank you,

Marcin

JETX

"What can we do?"
*** Pay the bill that you rightfully incurred.

"Can we try to negotiate with AT&T?"
*** Of course you can.

"If so, what arguments can we use?"
*** Start with "Hey, I'm Polish and didn't know better". Seriously, send me a $1000 retainer and I will be glad to negotiate with them on your behalf.

"Isn't it a case of price gouging? State's Attorney?"
*** No, and no. It is more a case of the buyer (you) not checking the cost of an item first. Would you go into a restaurant and order without knowing the price?? Of course not. Yet, you used the telephone service WITHOUT checking the cost first.

"What other options do we have short of paying this horrrendous bill?"
*** You can always refuse to pay and have your phone service disconnected, take the credit hit on your files and possibly face a lawsuit over the unpaid debt.

M

mjp2

JETX

My post was addressed to people in the know or with such experience.

I do not think that you fulfill any of the two stated above.

l am not looking for answers from I-have-nothing-better-to-do-but-answer-posts-on-the-internet type of fella.

Obviously you have no life...

racer72

Another satisifed customer. Gets a perfectly and correct legal answer and their panties get all twisted up. Go pay a local attorney and don't be surprised if you are told the same thing.

U

upinNC

Talk to AT&T about retractively changing the plan.

I called them once to change the plan we were on and they told me they would change the past months billings to the new plan - and I didn't even have to ask them for it, they volunteered as a goodwill gesture (however there were no charges on it as big as your rates).

Good luck.

M

mjp2

racer72
Please do not waste my time on reading your completely worthless post... if you have nothing meaningful to say- don't say it!

upinNC
Thank you very much for your answer. I am going to try to get my account retroactivated. Of course, if it doesn't work- we will pay the bill and forget about the matter.
Either way, thank you very much once again for providing a valuable piece of your expierience.

MinCA

Are you sure POLAND is 20cents and not Portland? Did you have something in writing from the phonr company with international rates? If you do, you can use that to force them to give you the rate you signed up for. If not, then you don't have a leg to stand on and will have to chalk it up to misunderstanding them.

Phone companies suck.

JETX

MinCA said:
Are you sure POLAND is 20cents and not Portland? Did you have something in writing from the phonr company with international rates? If you do, you can use that to force them to give you the rate you signed up for. If not, then you don't have a leg to stand on and will have to chalk it up to misunderstanding them.

Phone companies suck.
And why EXACTLY did you feel that your whiney drivel was so important to the OP that you had to post it to a thread that is over a YEAR old??? :eek:

MinCA

For some reason this showed up at the top of the list of topics. Which has me confused now as to why the hell it isn't in a page further back. That's why.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">