• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3 day notice due to act of violence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rrosup

I live in memphis tn. I moved here about 1.5 months ago and we informed the office about suspisios drug activities and people hanging around our door. Also the outside lights went out and it took them a week to fix it. well, our vehicles got broke into and i spoke to managment about it and i new who did it. well management said they could not do anything about it and the police said they couldn't do anything about it. I confronted the guy who supposed stole our property and he ran off and him and his friends came back with guns. i baracaded my family in the house. the shot a couple of rounds into the air and sped off. the police arived and i confronted them and told them the situation. The police went and asked them and of course did not find any weapons. i am a owner of a sig 40 cal pistol and a sks rifle. the other party said i shot at them. and today i recieved an eviction notice for acts of violence. did i act violently by confronting them or baracading myself in the house with my wife and kids. the lanlord told me that tn state law says that anyone in a violent crime weather victim or suspect is to be evicted. they also said that people reported traffic from my house. only about 5 of my friends ever come over. I don't know if i am in the wrong. i don't think i am and i don't think the other party is being evicted. is this legal? Can i take legal action against them? thank you.

L

loku

eviction for victim of violent crime

There may be such a law as your landlord mentions, but I could find no TN law for eviction of a tenant for being the victim of a violent crime. There is a law allowing an eviction for drug traffic or prostitution.

Tennessee Code/TITLE 66 PROPERTY/CHAPTER 7 LEASES/66-7-107. Termination for knowing controlled substance or prostitution violations provides that a tenancy may be terminated where the premises or the area immediately surrounding the premises is knowingly used or occupied in whole or in part to violate drug or prostitution laws. That is probably the law that the landord is referring to. I believe that section applies to the situation in which the tenant is the violator of the drug or prostitution law, not the victim, and that is probably why the landord mentioned traffic from your house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">