• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3-day notice to pay or vacate...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dscurlock

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA State

What should I expect after the 3 day notice...?

Apartments in Washington State appear to have no morality....
not only that they charge price gouging late fees, and not
only that more fees on top of that to post a 4 page notice....

But anyway, I left them a msg and told them that I did not forget
about them, and that I was in the hospital with my wife....

btw; I asked a friend upstairs to keep look out while I was
gone, and he called, and said they had posted a 3 day notice
to pay or to vacate; Some are just heartless, but I guess
they follow the heartless rules that Washington gave them to follow...

So I was just curious what to expect from here....

Thanks

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA State

What should I expect after the 3 day notice...?

Apartments in Washington State appear to have no morality....
not only that they charge price gouging late fees, and not
only that more fees on top of that to post a 4 page notice....

But anyway, I left them a msg and told them that I did not forget
about them, and that I was in the hospital with my wife....

btw; I asked a friend upstairs to keep look out while I was
gone, and he called, and said they had posted a 3 day notice
to pay or to vacate; Some are just heartless, but I guess
they follow the heartless rules that Washington gave them to follow...

So I was just curious what to expect from here....

Thanks
You signed a rental contract or have a lease. You are supposed to abide by that and pay your rent. YOu seem to want sympathy. After the 3 day notice, if you don't pay, the landlord will start eviction proceedings. You need to either pay OR look for a new place to live.

dscurlock

You signed a rental contract or have a lease. You are supposed to abide by that and pay your rent. YOu seem to want sympathy. After the 3 day notice, if you don't pay, the landlord will start eviction proceedings. You need to either pay OR look for a new place to live.
Right now I am not near by to pay rent, not sure about you, but
I feel my wife is more important. **** happens dude; and to be honest, I
can not remember how many years ago it was late with any rent...
I was always under the impression it took much longer then
3 days to kick someone out. I pay my bills sir, sometimes
bad things happen at the worst possible time in life...

Eekamouse

Your wife is in the hospital so you can't pay rent? How is that the apartment complex's problem? You can't take the time to go pay your rent so your wife will have somewhere to go once she is released from the hospital?

justalayman

You can't take the time to go pay your rent so your wife will have somewhere to go once she is released from the hospital?
that is oh so very important.

I can see it now. OP gets wife in the car. They start driving...somewhere. Wife realizes it is not the way to get to their apartment. She asks;

where are we going? I just got out of the hospital and I want to go home.

OP says, we are going home. I found this neat little place down by the river. It is a manufactured home. A company called Frigidaire makes these neat little compact homes. I got one real cheap. You'll love it. It needs some decorating and I left that for you since you always have such great ideas when it comes to things like that. You'll love it, I promise. You can settle in and I'll be over by the river trying to catch dinner. I left a fire in the fire pit so all you have to do is toss on some more wood to get it up to cooking temp.

dscurlock:

you have very few options at this point. Either find a way to make the rent payment, make some agreement with the landlord to pay so he will not act on the 3 days notice, or plan on being evicted. Once it passes the 3 days, the landlord does not have to rescind the notice, even if you are standing there with the money in your hand. He can head on down to the court and start eviction proceedings. Yes, it will take more than the 3 days to get you out (some states as little as a couple weeks or so, some closer to a month or even a bit longer) but you will be evicted so find a way to make the payment within that 3 days or live with the consequences. The law does not require your landlord to be nice.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Your tenant won't pay you but you think you have an excuse not to pay your landlord? Really?
https://forum.freeadvice.com/landlord-tenant-issues-42/tenant-renting-can-home-sold-608699.html#post3288889

Why should *wink wink* your landlord accept your excuses?

And your landlord has given you cease and desists in the past:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/landlord-tenant-issues-42/we-continue-get-bogus-eviction-notices-606380.html

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
OP is so full of crap (and I'm not even looking at the posting history.) Every bank on the planet is pushing their online bill paying system. If the OP's got the money, then the OP could get it to the LL.

If your friend could watch your apartment, why didn't you leave a check with them to give to the landlord? It's not a heartless process. Landlords are human too, they also have bills to pay, mortgages, families to feed and loved ones who are in difficult predicaments. If your heat was out for three days in February, would you want to the hear "my wife is in the hospital, I can't fix your heat"? I'm willing to guess not. So be reasonable in your expectations.

You had three days notice to pay your rent or the landlord would proceed with the eviction. Some States (like here in NH) have a specific amount of times in a calendar year that you can be served a NTQ & DFR and avoid eviction by payment. After the fourth time here, the landlord is entitled to a default judgment even if you pay the total amount and get caught up. If you continue defaulting all the time you may run into this, depending on your State laws.

OP is so full of crap (and I'm not even looking at the posting history.) Every bank on the planet is pushing their online bill paying system. If the OP's got the money, then the OP could get it to the LL.
Agree. And most landlords would much rather take it late than go through the eviction process and have to re-rent the unit.

quincy

dscurlock, here is a link to the Tenants Union of Washington State, where you will not only find the laws that apply to you and your situation but there are also tenant resources provided that you might (or might not) find helpful:
http://www.tenantsunion.org/en/rights/section/eviction

The Tenants Union gives information on the eviction process. As a note, it says on the site that the entire eviction process, from start to finish, can take about 3 weeks. That does not give you much time to find a new place to live.

I agree with the others that, if you did not make arrangements with your landlord prior to your wife's hospitalization, you needed to pay your rent on time. You are legally bound by the terms of your lease. Just messaging your landlord with reasons for your late payment is not enough to prevent an eviction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">