• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

30 day notice: New question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jin13

I previously posted my concerns over the amount that I had to pay for may last weeks at my apartment. As instructed by the apartment manager, I paid the full rent amount for December. Now I have a new concern. Since I had indicated on my notice to vacate that My last day haere is the 13th, the management says that although I paid for the month in full, I must adher to this date. I find this amazing. I paid for a full month, yet I must move prior to this. I adjusted my moving schedule in order to make up for the money I lost in paying for a full month. Can they do this?

L

LL

30 day notice: New question

I don't know anything about Michigan law.
I'm not even a lawyer, but alandlord (in California).

I am sure that, having given notice that you intend to vacate on a certain date requires you to leave by that date. The landlord needs to rely on your notice, in order to look for another tenant.

However, I suggest that you write a letter (certified) to the landlord asking for a refund from the 14th to the end of the month, and if not, what is his authority for charging you through the end of the calendar month, when you have given notice of vatation on the 13th. Most unscrupulous people, landlords or tenants, are not comfortable telling lies on paper with their signature.

It sounds fishy to me that the landord says "We don't do partial months". It usually is a matter they can do it or they can't.

See what they say in writing.

Also, try to see if they rent out the apartment to someone else during the remainder of the month, thereby "double-dipping" (collecting rent for the same unit from you and also from someone else).

Remember to check your rental agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">