• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401(k) problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bronco2246

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hello,

After 24 years working for my employer, I was laid off on Feb. 6, 2009. At the time of my termination (layoff) I requested that my 401(k) be rolled over. According to the bylaws of my 401(k), I cannot do anything with it until I no longer work for the company.

After numerous Emails I still have not received any paperwork from my employer. My last Email was sent on March 20, 2009 and I have not received a response.

I know that my employer has held up rollovers and retirement payouts to other employees. Sometimes no action is done until a legal threat has been made.

This is my money, not his. I am suffering because of his procrastination. I am still unemployed and if my unemployment runs out, I will need this money to live on.

What options do I have?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Bronco2246

Yes, the Plan Administrator said they would contact my employer. This just happened. I also informed my ex-employer that I talked to the Plan Administrator. I need to give this action some time, a day or so.

I came on here to see what other options I have. Hopfully, the plan administrator will rattle my ex-employers cage so that he will get me the stuff I need

Bronco2246

This is how my ex-employer responded to me. I have edited out names. Funny how he is always apologetic and only responds to me when I initiate contact

"I apologize, I am not putting you off or ignoring you. Remember that usually this closes and reports much later in the year. I have received the closing documents from Plan Administrator and they are being reviewed. I am likewise writing the year-end letter and must prepare and produce all employee documents for distribution. In reviewing the materials from Plan Administrator I have discovered that although your year- end reports are enclosed the distribution forms were NOT. I contacted them immediately yesterday, 04/06, and I am certain they will be in my hands today or tomorrow latest. Meanwhile I will endeavor to complete all the required tasks to do the distribution to all employees by week’s end. Bronco2246, I know you are anxious to get this resolved but please remember this must be done by the numbers and reported correctly to the government. I will not rush through this and have mistakes to fix later. Bear with me.
I will contact you later this week to get the documents to you."

Just to make a point I got my 2007 year end statement in a package dated DECEMBER 1, 2008. I guess all I can do now is wait another 2 weeks and see if my old boss get's anything done. I think contacting Plan Administrator helped. I had to do some detective work to find out the identity of the Plan Administrator. My boss did not give me that information .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">