• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401(k)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MADinVA

What is the name of your state? Virginia
My employer neglected to give me any plan docs or notices regarding the 401K plan for which I became elligible early last year. I was just fired and I'm not getting any answers from HR. Suggestions?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My first suggestion is that you make your question a little more clear. Are you saying that you were never given the opportunity to join the 401k plan, or simply that you were not given any info on how to withdraw your funds now that you are no longer employed there?

MADinVA

Thanks, that was unclear!

I was never given the opportunity to participate in the retirement plan despite undisputed eligibility.

Beth3

Contact the federal Department of Labor to file a complaint. 202-693-4650

If you met the eligibility requirements for participation and the employer failed to offer it to you, then they are in violation of federal ERISA regulations.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Although I have to wonder why you never asked the employer about it until now.

MADinVA

In previous years the plan was set up as a SEP IRA and my boss was extension happy, so we often didn't find out specifics until the end of the third quarter.

Thanks so much for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">