• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401(k)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Florida

I worked for a large corporation more than 14 years ago and I had a 401(k) established with them when I left (not under good terms). I began to question whether I ever collected this account, closed it, etc., and so I contacted the former employer, who referred me to the company that administers their benefits. To my surprise, my information was on their system. I have to wait a few days for them to research this issue, but is it possible that 14 years after the fact, my info would be in the benefit administrator's system unless I might have left something behind? Thanks.What is the name of your state?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's entirely possible.

Because of their pre-tax status, 401k's are very highly regulated. Records have to be very carefully maintained.

If you did close out the account, they should have a record of where the funds were sent. If you did not close it out, the funds should still be there.

Granted, if you did close the account, fourteen years after the fact it may take them quite some time to find the records, which may be in a warehouse somewhere. But if you didn't, the information is there somewhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">