• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401(k)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

got bait?

What is the name of your state? California

I am looking to end my employment with a company. I am fully vested as of Nov 19th (5 year anniv. date). Nov. 19 is a Sunday and our pay period is Mon-Sun. Do I need to work on the 20th or is the 19th concidered as worked, even if I wasn't there. I am looking to start my new job on the 20th, but not sure if I need to work at the old job on the 20th to qualify for vstement. I stand to lose $10k if I make the mistake.

Much appreciated.

Some Random Guy

If you put in your two week notice, the company has the right to acccept your resignation immediately and say that today is your last day. Keep that in mind when making your plans.

Also, avoid ambiguity. If you don't want to get into an argument about losing your vesting, then don't even come close. Work the 20th at your old job. Because even if the legal answer is that quitting on Sunday is good enough, how much do you want to spend proving that in a court of law?

got bait?

If you put in your two week notice, the company has the right to acccept your resignation immediately and say that today is your last day. Keep that in mind when making your plans.
Understood, they need me to train, but know the risk

Also, avoid ambiguity. If you don't want to get into an argument about losing your vesting, then don't even come close. Work the 20th at your old job. Because even if the legal answer is that quitting on Sunday is good enough, how much do you want to spend proving that in a court of law?
I have thought about putting my last date to be worked on my resongnation letter to be the 20th. My new job understands my position I am in. They are holding my position for 3 weeks because of this. I have already signed my offer agreement with them as well.

Thanks for the advice!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have thought about putting my last date to be worked on my resongnation letter to be the 20th. My new job understands my position I am in. They are holding my position for 3 weeks because of this. I have already signed my offer agreement with them as well.

Thanks for the advice!
That's the rub. If you submit a resignation letter for a later date, your current employer can choose the make your resignation effective immediately. Thus, you could lose out on your vesting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">