• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401k delay in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ngp

CA) I was recently denied a request to close my 401k account by the plan administrator, who claimed not to have recieved notice of my termination from my previous employer. I have not been active with this company for almost a month, and they claim to have sent this info to the plan administrator. I'm stuck in the middle, and no closer to having my funds. How do I find out about my rights? How long can the two parties delay me with this cat and mouse game?

ngp in California

pattytx

So, contact the benefits administrator at your ex-employer and tell them that the plan administrator told you they do not have notification of your termination, and ask them if you need to resubmit your request for payout. However, employers often only report terminations on a monthly basis, and maybe your termination date missed the last cutoff. It is not unusual for payouts to take 2-3-4 months to be received by the participant.

ngp

pattytx said:
So, contact the benefits administrator at your ex-employer and tell them that the plan administrator told you they do not have notification of your termination, and ask them if you need to resubmit your request for payout. However, employers often only report terminations on a monthly basis, and maybe your termination date missed the last cutoff. It is not unusual for payouts to take 2-3-4 months to be received by the participant.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I will give it a try.

ngp

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">