• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401k Delay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leosporin

What is the name of your state?
California

I was dismissed from my job over 6 months ago and have been trying to cash out my 401k. I was just told by the company benefits manager that they cannot cash it out until my workers comp case settles and they decide the effective date of my termination. Is this legal??
Thanks so much....
leosporin

Beth3

Possibly but without knowing the specifics of your WC claim and why your termination date is in dispute, it's impossible to say. What I can tell you is that you cannot cash out your 401(k) while you are still an employee, even if you are an inactive employee.

If the term date is uncertain, I see no reason why you can't contact your employer and formally quit, thereby establishing a term date. What I can't tell you is what effect that will have, if any, on your WC claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">