• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401k hardship question for mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adjusterjack

Dont they take out the 10% off the top anyway for early withdrawl or is that another 10 percent that gets paid when taxes are due
Depends. When you take the distribution you may be able to take the whole amount or you may be able to have part of it sent to the IRS. Check your plan to see what your options are.

Keep in mind that if you take the whole amount you could be adding a very painful amount to your tax bill next April, maybe a thousand or two and be faced with a penalty for under withholding.

Depends. When you take the distribution you may be able to take the whole amount or you may be able to have part of it sent to the IRS. Check your plan to see what your options are.

Keep in mind that if you take the whole amount you could be adding a very painful amount to your tax bill next April, maybe a thousand or two and be faced with a penalty for under withholding.
My plan allows me to have the early withdrawal taken out before sent to me as well as have a tax percentage taken out of it

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Does your plan allow for loans and if so, do you qualify?

While the purchase of your primary residence is one of the very few things for which you can legally take a hardship withdrawal, a loan is usually less restrictive, does not come with a penalty, and can be paid back gradually over time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">