• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401K question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

triple0soul

What is the name of your state? TX

Pretty much everyone I know has some sort of retirement plan. Sounds like the most popular is a 401K plan. Sounds great to me. What I am curious about is how come this benefit isn't available when collecting unemployment? Why can't I invest some of the money and then have a percentage matched by the government? Why have the benefit of a 401K if it's not open to everyone. Doesn't seem fair.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Because first, you are not employed by the government and secondly, because they have chosen not to offer that benefit. Not all employer offer 401ks and of those that do, not all offer a matching benefit. The employer is not required to provide such a benefit; neither is the state.

T

triple0soul

cbg said:
Because first, you are not employed by the government and secondly, because they have chosen not to offer that benefit. Not all employer offer 401ks and of those that do, not all offer a matching benefit. The employer is not required to provide such a benefit; neither is the state.
I know I am not employeed by the government but they are the one's paying my unemployment. What stinks is that unemployment only raises with societies cost of living raises. How is one supposed to get ahead? What do you think it does to my morale when all these people are talking about their retirements and vacations when I don't get anything like that. Unemployment barely covers my costs on food and beer. I gotta go collect cig butts to be able to smoke. This is starting to tick me off. I have been on unemployment for close to 7 years and not ONE Christmas bonus in that time. The government really needs to get it's act together.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Regardless of what you might think, not everyone gets a Christmas bonus and not everyone has access to a 401k. The sheer arrogance of your assumption that the government owes you what are voluntary benefits to everyone else is astounding. And what have you been doing on unemployment for seven years anyway? Most states would have kicked you off long ago. You want the benefits "everyone else" gets? Get them the same way they got them - by getting off your ass and getting a job that offers them.

pattytx

You mean you have been unemployed for 7 years, not that you have been receiving unemployment benefits for 7 years. No state pays UI benefits for 7 years solid. The longest possible period for receiving UI benefits without a break is one years, and that is only in extreme circumstances.

Get a friggin job!

T

triple0soul

I'm afraid there has been some miscommunication. I have had jobs the last 7 years. They simply haven't lasted very long. What I meant to say is that I haven't had a "steady" job the last 7 years. I understand your anger thinking that I haven't tried getting a job. I have, but it just seems that I keep getting screwed one way or another. A matter of fact I am on my way to a job at Luby's this morning. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Beth3

I know I am not employeed by the government but they are the one's paying my unemployment. What stinks is that unemployment only raises with societies cost of living raises. How is one supposed to get ahead? By getting a job and working. Unemployment is not intended to provide other than a short-term and temporary income between jobs.

What do you think it does to my morale when all these people are talking about their retirements and vacations when I don't get anything like that. Unemployment barely covers my costs on food and beer. I gotta go collect cig butts to be able to smoke. This is starting to tick me off. I have been on unemployment for close to 7 years and not ONE Christmas bonus in that time. The government really needs to get it's act together. The government's role is not to provide you with an income. Your role is to get a job and provide yourself with a steady income.

Employer sponsored 401(k) retirement plans have nothing to do with what you're talking about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">