• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401k question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needhelp76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca

My husband had his company meeting last week, it was said that in order for the employees to get there bonus this year they have to open a 401k.. My husband does not want to at this point open a 401k. But we were told that his boss can not force him to open one. What is being said is that if you do not open the 401k u will not recieve your bonus. can they do that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Barring a legally binding and enforceable contract that guarantees the bonuses regardless, yes, they can.

LeeHarveyBlotto

Unless hub is working under an employment contact that specifies the conditions under which a bonus is to be paid, the employer can set about any conditions on bonuses he wishes.

Edit: I'm slow - what she said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">