• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401K to Personal IRA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RedlinRamsey

What is the name of your state? Maryland

Its time for me to close out my 401k at work. I have stopped making contributions and and would like to move it into a personal IRA at my bank. I haven't been to the bank as yet but am going soon. I would like to know if anyone has information on what the procedures are and what I can expect. Thank you...What is the name of your state?

RedlinRamsey

Yes. Also, I understand that some employers prohibit this if you are still with the same employer. But I have checked with the Plan Administrator and he assures me that the company that I work for does not prohibit this.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The company may not. The law does.

If you are still employed there, it is ILLEGAL for them to let you transfer monies out of the 401k plan. You can take a loan, if a loan is permitted under the plan. There are certain hardship withdrawals which can be taken, though they are strictly limited.

But if your plan administrator is telling you that the company will allow you to transfer all your monies out of the 401k account into a personal IRA while you are still employed there, then the plan administrator does not know the law. They are risking having the IRS invalidate the entire plan if they permit this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">