• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401k's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wrdavis111

Georgia, My employer has not contributed to my 401k since nov of 2004 and has taken money out of my paycheck for the 401 k, what are my options and is this against any laws.

Beth3

Yes, it's against the law. I'm not an expert on the laws that govern retirement plan but I recall that tax legislation passed in 2003 (EGTRRA) requires that the employer to forward employees' 401(k) contributions to the Plan Trustee within two weeks. If your employer has divered employee contributions into the general assets of the company, they are in big trouble.

You can contact the federal Department of Labor to discuss this and file a complaint if need be. 202-693-4650

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">