• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

403b employer contributions and maximum waiting period based on age?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skindog

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I am a young professional at the age of 29. I've been working at my current institution for three years. I'm wondering if age discrimination can take place in reverse, as in being discriminated for being younger than other employees.
My institution's retirement policy will immediately start contributing 10% to new employees that are 35 and older. If you are under 35, there is a two year waiting period. In addition, individuals who are under 30, have to wait two years, and once they have worked two years and are still under 30, they get 5% employer contributions until they turn 30.
So here are my questions? Can an employer provide different contribution levels based on age? different waiting periods base on age? I also found the following url

Retirement - 403(b)

Which If I'm reading it correctly says that educational institutions can only have a 1 year waiting period for individuals over 26? I need some advice on whether or not I have a case. I'm looking at about $15,000 (plus any investiment gain opportunities) in lost retirement money if I would have been getting 10% from the start of my employment.

Thanks

swalsh411

I am not aware of any law which says employers cannot set different match contributions based on the age of the employee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">