• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

4th or 5th DUI!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjamm1972

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois
My friend, just got charged with 2 class 4 felonies...DUI while driving on suspended or revoked license. It is his 4th or 5th DUI, and he has had maybe 6 or 7 driving on suspended and or revoked. This has all been over a period of many years. He went without drivers license for about 20 years. Well, after several thousand dollars, a high priced attorney, bla bla, he got license back about 2 years ago. Since then, he has got them suspended and now has ANOTHER DUI. I know that Illinois is hard on this stuff anymore!!! What is he looking at? Will there be possible jail time? Oh, and he did do 180 in county 7 yrs. ago for DLS. Hope I did not leave anything out..thank you

Some Random Guy

Without some fancy lawyering, I see jail in his future, followed by a bus pass.

FOURTH OFFENSE ILLNOIS DUI PENALTIES

FOURTH OFFENSE DUI (BAC UNDER .16) - FELONY - FINES: up to $25,000; JAIL: 3-7 years no probation available; LICENSE SUSPENSION: lifetime loss of driving privileges

FOURTH OFFENSE DUI (BAC .16 OR HIGHER) - FELONY - FINES: mandatory minimum $5,000 - $25,000; JAIL: 3-7 years no probation available; LICENSE SUSPENSION: lifetime loss of driving privileges

FIFTH OFFENSE ILLINOIS DUI PENALTIES

FIFTH OFFENSE DUI (BAC UNDER .16) - FELONY - FINES: up to $25,000; JAIL: 4-15 years in prison no probation; LICENSE SUSPENSION: lifetime loss of driving privileges

FIFTH OFFENSE DUI (BAC .16 OR HIGHER) - FELONY - FINES: mandatory minimum $5,000 - maximum $25,000; JAIL: 4-15 years no probation; LICENSE SUSPENSION: lifetime loss of driving privileges

Penalties get worse if there was a passenger under 16 in the car or if there was an injury accident.

Illinois DUI Penalties

One point of confusion though. You say that they were class 4 felonies. in Illinois, a 1st or 2nd DUI is a misdemeanor, 3rd or 4th DUI is a class 2 felony, a 5th DUI is a class 1 felony and a 6th DUI is a class X felony (6-30 years in jail).

bjamm1972

Not sure really...I looked up on judici.com, so I know there are two class 4 felonies...is a class 2 or class 4 felony worse? sorry. So, even if these DUIs and DLS DLR are spread out over a period of several years, they are still looked upon? Thanks a bunch

Some Random Guy

There is a lookback period for Illinois, but I don't know how long it is. I have seen both 5 and 10 years mentioned. That could explain why is is only class 4.

Class 1 Felony
•Between 4 and 15 years in State Penitentiary; and/or
•Fine of up to $25,000
•Examples: Criminal Sexual Assault, Possession of Heroin, Cocaine, LSD

Class 2 Felony
•Between 3 and 7 years in State Penitentiary; and/or
•Fine of up to $25,000
•Examples: Arson

Class 3 Felony
•Between 2 and 5 years in State Penitentiary; and/or
•Fine of up to $25,000
•Examples: Aggravated Battery

Class 4 Felony
•Between 1 and 3 years in State Penitentiary; and/or
•Fine of up to $25,000
•Examples: Aggravated Assault, Stalking

Source:
Illinois Criminal Laws - Felony and Misdemeanor Charges in IL | Illinois Criminal Defense Lawyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">