• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

50k promised for finders fee, now they are ignoring me and denying signing agreement!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

[email protected]

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA, potential plaintiff lives in NV. My uncle opened an annuity in 1990 and named two beneficiaries one was my brother and the other was a long lost second cousin. When my uncle died in 1994, the annuity had grown to a little over 100k. My brother filed a claim and received his share of the annuity ($50,250.00) and the balance remained with the life insurance company.

I have been looking for my long lost cousin for the last 20 years to notify her that she inherited this money with no luck. Two weeks ago I decided to try a whole new search and was successful in locating her. When I first spoke to her on the phone I told her I had some life changing news for her and I really wanted to give it to her in person, she finally agreed to meet me. I flew out to NV where she lived twice and both times she stood me up. Finally the third time was a charm and we finally met in person. Let me back up a little and not get ahead of myself. The annuity has been gaining interest the last 20 years ($51,000.00 dollars to be exact) and now the annuity has a value of approximately $108,000.00 dollars. I have been receiving quarterly statements from the financial institution showing the annuities growth for 20 years. The financial institution never escheated the money and continued to let it grow. So my long lost cousin now is the beneficiary to an annuity worth $108,000.00 instead of the original $50,250.00 which she was suppose to claim back in 1994. Over the years I have always felt that if and when I find her I am going to ask for her to pay me a finders fee equal to the amount of the earned interest on the annuity. I felt that was only fair since if I had not spent countless hours over the years searching for her she would have never known about this inheritance.

When we finally met in person I told her I had some amazing news to share with her. I then asked her if she would agree to pay me a finders fee for all my time and efforts in locating her after 20 years in the amount of 50% of any monies she receives as a result of the information I am bringing to her asttention regarding our late uncles estate. She said "sure ill split whatever it is with you, that the correct thing to do". We both signed the agreement acknowledging the 50% finders fee and the fact that she was not aware of any inheritance or monies owed her left by our uncle. I then explained to her that she inherited $50,250.00 back in 1994 but the annuity is now worth $108,000.00 with all the interest it has earned. She was in shock and disbelief at first but then came around and was so grateful I located her! I returned home and was going to call her to help file the proper paperwork for claiming her inheritance the next morning.

We spoke the next morning and she told me that the lord god all mighty spoke to her the night before and he told her that she was to keep the money for herself and told me to pray for answers and then hung up the phone. I have left her 7 messages trying to reach her to discuss this matter but she will not take my calls and never answers the phone. I am aware she has contacted the financial institution and submitted a claim for full payment.

What should I do now? I am entitled to at least the interest on the account per our written agreement. If it was not for me looking for all these years she would have never received any money whatsoever!

Sorry for the long story... Please advise...

Thanks,
Araven

anteater

You think you are entitled to $50K? Did you tell her the amounts before signing this agreement? What a joke!

In any event, sue her.

Eekamouse

Your uncle left none of this money to you but you think you should get half of her inheritance? So you did a search for her on Facebook or where ever. Big deal. That doesn't entitle you to the interest on her annuity.

LdiJ

A 50% finders fee, if a finders fee is appropriate at all, is also way in excess. A 5% or 10% finders fee, when finders fees are appropriate, is far more in line with reality.

latigo

Your being aware that she has "contacted the financial institution and submitted a claim for full payment" (like she would maybe claim only a partial amount AND you would be privy to such confidential information) has the same fish market aroma as the rest of the yarn.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">