• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

60 day moving out notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hachainey

My roomate and I are in a bind. We signed a 1 year lease agreement in '99 that stated we must give a 30-day moving out notice. The lease agreement was several pages long with explicit detail re: the 30-day notice. We then renewed our lease in 2000 for one more year. Our lease renewal sheet was one page. We made the huge mistake of going into the office and signing the 1-page without paying attention to changes made. Neither one of us ended up with a copy. Our lease is almost up and I called the office to ask about rent increases for the next year. We decided to move out because our rent increased too much. The rep in the office reminded me that we needed to give our "30-day notice". She also said they had left a reminder on our door over the Christmas holiday. I let her know I had not received this notice since we were gone for several weeks...maybe it blew off or was taken off. When I called into the office again to ask how to proceed with the 30-day notice they said my lease contract required a 60-day moving out notice. I went into the office & sure enough we both had signed the contract and it did specify a change of 60-days. I mentioned the mistake by the rep & the manager said verbal statements were not binding. Now we are forced to pay mos by mos with increase of $280. Not to mention we were approved for a house (to rent) & now may lose it because we have to wait another month to move in. Any suggestions? Any possible way for us to get out of this? The Apartment manager is unyielding and refuses to let us leave earlier than 60 days even though lease agreement specifies 2/28/01 as our end date.

D

djdj

thats what you get for not reading your lease.....and having acopy

Only solution, get them IN WRITING, to agree that you have vacated the property on Feb 28t and the security deposit, will be appiled to march's as paid in full.

And dont leave the apartment until you do a walk thru with them at 5 PM on feb 28th, take lots of pictures too.. then and only then give them the keys...

they have a signed lease with both your names oin it... guess you lose

[Edited by djdj on 01-30-2001 at 07:27 PM]

L

LL

How could you not know what you signed?

Check your lease for an automatic renewal clause. Else, why can't you simply leave on 2/2/8/01?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">