• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

60 day notice to quit.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bianca85

I have been renting a duplex for the last 4 years. The first two years of living there the plumbing was horrible, heater did not work and the electrical connections were (still not up to code). I had to open a Code Enforcement Case (back in 2017) because the the landlord (slum lord) would make remarks like "If you don't like it give me your 30 day notice" whenever I complained about anything. Some of the repairs were taken care of during Code Enforcement but electrical still a safety hazard because of the wiring. A couple of weeks ago I asked him to fix an issue with the plumbing and his response was " now your just nit picking, why don't you just give me your 30 day notice" a week later I got a 60 day notice in mail to quit. I realize that by renting month to month we are at risk tenants but do I have any options at this point? Mind you I have always paid my rent even when I was living in those conditions.

quincy

I have been renting a duplex for the last 4 years. The first two years of living there the plumbing was horrible, heater did not work and the electrical connections were (still not up to code). I had to open a Code Enforcement Case (back in 2017) because the the landlord (slum lord) would make remarks like "If you don't like it give me your 30 day notice" whenever I complained about anything. Some of the repairs were taken care of during Code Enforcement but electrical still a safety hazard because of the wiring. A couple of weeks ago I asked him to fix an issue with the plumbing and his response was " now your just nit picking, why don't you just give me your 30 day notice" a week later I got a 60 day notice in mail to quit. I realize that by renting month to month we are at risk tenants but do I have any options at this point? Mind you I have always paid my rent even when I was living in those conditions.
What is the name of your state?

Do you believe your landlord retaliated against you for reporting code violations - and that is the reason you are wondering if the 60 day notice was legal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">