• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

7th day of rest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dope

What is the name of your state? Illinois
Could someone please explain the "7th day of rest" law? It sounds to me like a full-time, non-exempt employee cannot be asked to work 7 days in a row. Right or wrong?

It would not involve overtime, but rather an overlap during 2 work weeks, but the days worked are consecutive. Please explain.:confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Given every seven days, one of them you must have off. However, during week one you could have Monday off, and during week two you could have Sunday off. You would have worked 12 days in a row, but you would have had one day in seven off, and it would have been legal within the Illinois law the way it was explained to me.

Beth3

I'm in a neighboring State that also has a "one day of rest in 7" law and cbg has explained the way it works. Assuming your State's law is similar to mine, be advised that there are likely exceptions which typically include: janitors, security personnel, food processing and related storage (dairies, bakeries, etc.) pulp and paper mills, and emergency situations - such as equipment breakdowns that would place an undue hardship on the employer if not repaired promptly. Your State may have different or additional exceptions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">