• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

9/12 I got served papers (sued) from debt collectors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rie010612

What is the name of your state? Texas
My mom just notified me about some papers that some lady dropped off at my house while I was at work. so I viewed my papers and I am being sued by Midland a company who purchased my debt from TJX company. my last payment to the TJX Company credit card was on 4/10/2017 so I know they are within the statue of limitations. But I am unable to pay this debt back. what are my options?

quincy

What is the name of your state? Texas
My mom just notified me about some papers that some lady dropped off at my house while I was at work. so I viewed my papers and I am being sued by Midland a company who purchased my debt from TJX company. my last payment to the TJX Company credit card was on 4/10/2017 so I know they are within the statue of limitations. But I am unable to pay this debt back. what are my options?
There is a "sticky note" thread at the top of this Debt Collection forum that was written by TigerD (an attorney who used to be a debt collector) on negotiating with a debt collector. You might find it helpful.

There is a chance even after a lawsuit has been filed that you can negotiate paying a lower amount to settle the debt. Perhaps a lower amount is affordable for you or you can borrow from family to settle.

Because you are being sued, however, you still will need to respond to the complaint. This response is called an "answer." You have a limited amount of time to file your answer with the court.

Although you admit to owing the debt and you apparently have no defense to the debt collector's suit, you will still want to appear in court for the hearing. You do not want to have a default judgment entered against you.

Going to court early on the scheduled date can be smart because it gives you one more opportunity to work out a settlement agreement with the debt collector prior to trial.

Once a judgment is entered against you, the debt collector has several unpleasant ways available to help in satisfying the judgment.

Good luck.

Rie010612

There is a "sticky note" thread at the top of this Debt Collection forum that was written by TigerD (an attorney who used to be a debt collector) on negotiating with a debt collector. You might find it helpful.

There is a chance even after a lawsuit has been filed that you can negotiate paying a lower amount to settle the debt. Perhaps a lower amount is affordable for you or you can borrow from family to settle.

Because you are being sued, however, you still will need to respond to the complaint. This response is called an "answer." You have a limited amount of time to file your answer with the court.

Although you admit to owing the debt and you apparently have no defense to the debt collector's suit, you will still want to appear in court for the hearing. You do not want to have a default judgment entered against you.

Going to court early on the scheduled date can be smart because it gives you one more opportunity to work out a settlement agreement with the debt collector prior to trial.

Once a judgment is entered against you, the debt collector has several unpleasant ways available to help in satisfying the judgment.

Good luck.
Thank you for your help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">