• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

9-21-5-2(a)(3) - SPEEDING - EXCEEDING INTERSTATE 70 MPH LIM - Steuben County Indiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tprimo

Hello,

I was pulled over in Steuben County (Indiana) and the officer mentioned I was at 88mph on a 70mph.
I am looking for information whether it is possible to get it dismissed somehow, I am willing to hire a lawyer. I haven’t had a ticket in 7-8 years and it was in North Carolina. My main thing is points, I drive for work and
Points would count against me, not even sure how many points it would count against me since it doesn’t say.

Any info would be appreciated.

EDITED: I do not have CDL just a regular license.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello,

I was pulled over in Steuben County (Indiana) and the officer mentioned I was at 88mph on a 70mph.
I am looking for information whether it is possible to get it dismissed somehow, I am willing to hire a lawyer. I haven’t had a ticket in 7-8 years and it was in North Carolina. My main thing is points, I drive for work and
Points would count against me, not even sure how many points it would count against me since it doesn’t say.

If this ticket would affect your livelihood, then you should contact a local (to the jurisdiction in which you received the ticket) attorney that specializes in traffic law matters.

BuyLowSellHigh

Each county in Indiana may have it's own deferral program for speeding tickets. Call the number on the ticket and ask about their deferral program. Eligibility depends on the county rules and how the citation was written. Generally you agree to not speed for the next 6-12 months and your ticket is then dropped without being reported so no points.

Zigner

If the OP has a CDL, that program isn't available to him. The CDL was implied, but not stated.

BuyLowSellHigh

That's a good point. Although Steuben county is located near RV manufacturers many of which don't require a CDL to transport.

Most of the RVs in the U.S. are manufactured in Indiana and transported across the country to dealerships. Gas units and towables can be transported without a CDL.

zddoodah

I am looking for information whether it is possible to get it dismissed somehow
In the abstract, virtually anything is possible, but no one is going to dismiss your citation just for funsies. There's got to be some good reason.

I haven’t had a ticket in 7-8 years and it was in North Carolina.
Utterly irrelevant. I got a ticket a few years ago. Had I gone to court and say that I hadn't gotten a ticket since 1995 (which is true), I'd have been directed to the clerk's office to pay the fine. No state has a "one ticket ever 7-8 years is on us" program.

My main thing is points, I drive for work and
Points would count against me
Which would seem to counsel in favor of assiduously adhering to all traffic laws.

I'd suggest contacting the court clerk and asking about a deferral program or traffic school. Or you can look into a consultation with a traffic attorney.

Zigner

In the abstract, virtually anything is possible, but no one is going to dismiss your citation just for funsies. There's got to be some good reason.
Actually many (probably most or all) counties in Indiana do just that. Here is a link to the program for Steuben County: https://steubenny.diversionconnect.com/

Disregard this link. The OP should contact the court directly to ask about a diversion/deferral program, or contact an attorney (perhaps both).

Last edited:

LdiJ

Hello,

EDITED: I do not have CDL just a regular license.
Read this article.

https://www.yourpace.com/blog/how-does-the-indiana-drivers-license-points-system-work

It has a lot of information about points (your infraction is a 4 pointer) and how to remove points from your driving record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">