• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

9 year old speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cindi86Rai

What is the name of your state? Texas

I recently went to DMV to renew and update my driver's license. Every thing went smooth until I received a letter in the mail stating I have unpaid fees that are preventing my renewal and would not be able to renew until they get taken care of.
I called the courthouse in question and the clerk informed me that I had a speeding ticket back in October of 2009 fee and a fee for not appearing to scheduled court date.
I do recall getting a speeding ticket around early September of 2009 and I did call the courthouse before the date guided on the ticket. I was told there was no record of the ticket on file and to check back in a week in which I did and still no record on file.
I have updated my driver's license at least twice since 2009 but had no idea about this ticket turning into a warrant. I have even been pulled over once for a burned out licence plate light and nothing was mentioned by that officer of having anything on my record and that was in 2015.
Should I take the time to travel back to that area to talk to the prosecutor? It has been 9 years since that ticket and I had no idea it was on my record until this renewal in 2018.

FlyingRon

Nope, you shouldn't have just assumed the ticket went away by itself. Pay what they want to clear your record.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I was told there was no record of the ticket on file and to check back in a week in which I did and still no record on file...
And you should have kept calling every week to check instead of just blowing it off. It was your responsibility to stay on top of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">