• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

90 days to stay in US til marry someone who's in process to get his citizenship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


New member

Would like to know what is the best way to get a peacful state of mind when my time to visit will expire on the end of this month while my fiancé, who would like to marry me keep saying don't go back cause the immigration service may don't allow me come over again in US.
My first visit was in February 2019 then I left in March and came back May 2 2019, should I listen to him and stay without permit, get married and ask for residency or should I go back to my home town, Paris, and come back in September? But the date of marriage will be this August. So, basically, need your help.
Thank you.



Senior Member
If you get married, it is possible to change your status if you originally entered the US legally. However, that means remaining in the US. If you go back to Paris after you get married, then you won't be able to return until a spousal visa is issued and that could take several years.

Please get a consult with a local immigration attorney. Do not rely on information gleaned from the internet.


Obvious Observer
If you are a French citizen, it is easy enough to get a visitor's visa to visit the US. However, if you overstay that visa and get caught you can be barred from reentry to the US for 10 years.

If you are not a French citizen, then there may be some concern, depending on the country.

The options available to you depend in part on where in the citizenship process your fiance is.
The following are links to USCIS, so should be accurate:
Family of green card holder.
Family of US citizen.

I would be very concerned by your fiance's suggested plan of action. It's not legally correct, and puts you at a disadvantage.
Why aren't you getting married in France? Why aren't you waiting until h gets his US citizenship? If you plan on being married, a little more time before marrying won't matter.

Ldij is exaggerating about the "several years". Perhaps @MassShyster will chime in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential