• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A 4 year old check question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Texas
My wife wrote 2 checks to a Grocery Store in 2002. The total amount of the 2 checks are $99.00. The checks were sent to a credit agency for collection. She did not respond to them. Two years later another credit agency is calling and is threathening to turn the checks over the courts. Can they do that? And what should we do, I don't have the money to pay them right now and they are not allowing anymore time. Please give me some advice. My question is why would the check go to a credit agency? My next question is can they turn the checks over to the court?
Thank you,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential