• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A case of "Slander"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joe1212

What is the name of your state? Indiana. It all began a short while after beginning a new job in a small town,and slowly coming to know the people on the job.After being on the job for about 5 months,suddenly there extreme changes in the attitude of co-workers.At the time I didn't know what was up and didn't react.Later on I would overhear remarks being made that questioned my state of mind.To be specific,I was being labled "insane".And this was being spread about in efforts of ruining my image,and destroying my relations with people there.In the end this was the results of what they did.At first,I didn't believe this was being taken in a literally but it was and has had a lingering effects.This started in Fall 2002,and I still get adverse reaction from people as I pass them on the street.Mind you I spoke to these people everyday at work,These very same people now avoid me.Once last summer,I saw one of my co-workers on the street - when they saw me they drove at excessive speeds 70 mph in a 30mph to lose me in traffic.(which almost caused an accident).Then on another occasion,while I was sitting in a bar,when in come some of my old commrades.They saw me - right back out the door - without a word. Now I never know what to expect when I see them as they seem to fear me.In the beginning I was regarded as one of the best employees
and respected.In the end I am looked down upon like a retard of which they don't want to be associated with.:(

Last edited:

L

LawDawg03

No this is not slander. No one is saying anything about you. They just think you're weird. Sorry.

JETX

Actually, it sounds like you MAY have been slandered in those statements, though a case of slander is hard (and expensive) to prove. Further, it would not be appropriate for small claims court (they hear money issues only).

However, your post doesn't indicate anything about WHO said them, or what damages the comments may have caused. As such, your chance of success in litigation is greatly hindered. In order to have a case, you would have to know WHO said 'something', the 'something' they said, who it was said to, and how it damaged you.

slander
n. oral defamation, in which someone tells one or more persons an untruth about another, which untruth will harm the reputation of the person defamed. Slander is a civil wrong (tort) and can be the basis for a lawsuit. Damages (payoff for worth) for slander may be limited to actual (special) damages unless there is malicious intent, since such damages are usually difficult to specify and harder to prove. Some statements, such as an untrue accusation of having committed a crime, having a loathsome disease or being unable to perform one's occupation, are treated as slander per se since the harm and malice are obvious and therefore usually result in general and even punitive damage recovery by the person harmed.

Last edited:
J

joe1212

Woops! I definatley posted this to the wrong forum:).I wasn't able to include specifics such as someones true identity as to respect thier safety,and keep them from being alerted from my intent,and protect myself of any legal ramifications of posting something about them on the internet. So we'll just refer to them as John,Jack,Jim,Jerry and Dill-Doe.The names aren't meant to be gender specific.To summarize the whole thing,all of the mentioned shared the same employer and got along pretty well.And it was that way for awhile.But one day one of them,lets say Dill-Doe decides to spread wicked rumors that made a job environment hell.I believe I probably did have a legitimate case,but I don't think I will take "Legal" .Ave to get there.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">