• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A company is requesting me to fill out a W-9 form, I'm 17.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MarvinDev

So, basically, I (17) am wondering if I could use my information, while my father signs the W-9 form. I DO have an assumed name, which is registered under my name, along with an EIN (I wanted to sign the W-9, working under my business name, but I couldn't use it, I'll explain it later).

They were very critical in the reviewing process, especially for Sole Proprietorship portion, where they restricted me from entering my business name and EIN.

Because of this and my age, only my individual name & SSN were allowed be to entered and deemed my forms "incorrect" (they didn't give me the actual, standard electronic W-9 form to sign; their tax forms are processed through a dashboard and converted electronically into W-9 PDFs, to which they would review). And for this reason, I'm very limited to entering the information I want.

I forgot to mention, about 4 days later, they wanted my father to sign the W-9 form, because they said that I'm under 18 and can't sign a legally binding contract (which I'm now aware of). They didn't ask to do so earlier, I wonder why, but I'm still wondering why they're not allowing me to enter certain information.

Is this breaking the W-9 rules? On page 3 of the W-9, it states, "if you are a sole proprietor and you have an EIN, you may enter either your SSN or EIN. However, the IRS prefers that you use your SSN."

I'm still quite speculative in this company that wants to hire me for temporary work.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">