• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A Company to Help the Underpaid/Overworked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jubal325

I have a hypothetical question about a company created to help overworked/underpaid workers. It would help to pay people
who are underpaid and overworked (such as medical, law enforcement, etc.) at their "first job". A company would charge its
customers (who buy the products and pay all taxes legally) for say, highly priced office supplies. The customers
would be people legally purchasing the products. They would know that the high net profit would result in payment to the
employees in the form of high wages. The jobs would entail the workers doing legitimate jobs but employed in such a way that
minimal work was required. A sort of equivalent to "sinecure" jobs in other countries. Could such a company (the
business, its employers, and employees) exist and operate legally?

LdiJ

I have a hypothetical question about a company created to help overworked/underpaid workers. It would help to pay people
who are underpaid and overworked (such as medical, law enforcement, etc.) at their "first job". A company would charge its
customers (who buy the products and pay all taxes legally) for say, highly priced office supplies. The customers
would be people legally purchasing the products. They would know that the high net profit would result in payment to the
employees in the form of high wages. The jobs would entail the workers doing legitimate jobs but employed in such a way that
minimal work was required. A sort of equivalent to "sinecure" jobs in other countries. Could such a company (the
I am not entirely sure that I understand what it is that you want to do. I have read your post several times and its a bit unclear to me. However, one thing that I can tell you is that "ghost employment" is illegal and that a company who has ghost employees would end up not being able to deduct their wages as a legitimate business expense.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Could such a company (the business, its employers, and employees) exist and operate legally?
I disagree with the previous response that having "ghost employees" is illegal. Having ghost employees is not itself illegal. However, other things the company does related to having ghost employees might be a crime. Also, the employer may find that it cannot take income tax deductions for much of the wages paid to these employees who do "minimal work" and other related expenses.

Finally, I think that few people would truly pay significantly more for something like offices supplies to support "overworked" employees. As a result, I think the idea to be folly.

adjusterjack

Could such a company (the
I suppose it could operate legally. How long it would exist with that business model is problematic. Overworked and underpaid is in the eye of the beholder and everybody in the United States who has a job would be lining up for the handouts while very few people would pay a markup for consumer goods much less office products.

While the idea is folly I do commend you for using "sinecure" in a sentence. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">