• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A cop took a picture of my Driving license without any reason

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brandon.may

Hi there,

Last night I was in a Shisha lounge for some drinks. The staff there usually sits strangers together on the same table because of the limited number of tables. So, the staff sat two guys at the same table where I was sitting later in the night. I was there alone and minding my own business and then suddenly out of nowhere a cop comes to my table and asks me for my ID which I gave it to him because I thought it was just a random check for age verification. He did not ask me any questions or anything at all and just took the picture of my driving license on his phone and gave it back to me. I asked him why did he take the picture of the license and he said that it's easier to take a photo instead of writing the details (which doesn't make any sense because there was no reason to ask for the ID in the first place). Then later I got to know that the guys who were sitting at my table had some history with the cops and the cops thought I was with them which was later clarified by the staff that I was there alone and waiting for the friends to join me. After hearing that the cop came over to me and apologized because I was not with those guys. Now, I am really concerned that the cop has the photo of my driving license and what if they associate me with those guys and unnecessarily harass me. Do you think there is a chance that they'll monitor me? and do you guys think it's a good idea to file a complaint with the local police service?

Thank you in advance for the advice!

quincy

Hi there,

Last night I was in a Shisha lounge for some drinks. The staff there usually sits strangers together on the same table because of the limited number of tables. So, the staff sat two guys at the same table where I was sitting later in the night. I was there alone and minding my own business and then suddenly out of nowhere a cop comes to my table and asks me for my ID which I gave it to him because I thought it was just a random check for age verification. He did not ask me any questions or anything at all and just took the picture of my driving license on his phone and gave it back to me. I asked him why did he take the picture of the license and he said that it's easier to take a photo instead of writing the details (which doesn't make any sense because there was no reason to ask for the ID in the first place). Then later I got to know that the guys who were sitting at my table had some history with the cops and the cops thought I was with them which was later clarified by the staff that I was there alone and waiting for the friends to join me. After hearing that the cop came over to me and apologized because I was not with those guys. Now, I am really concerned that the cop has the photo of my driving license and what if they associate me with those guys and unnecessarily harass me. Do you think there is a chance that they'll monitor me? and do you guys think it's a good idea to file a complaint with the local police service?

Thank you in advance for the advice!
I do not see that you have any reason to worry.

xylene

There was no police misconduct, so filing a misconduct report would be inappropriate on your part.

Nothing really unusual happened. You were carded in a place where age restricted products are sold, and you happened to be associating with people who are known to the police (though not by your own volition, something later plainly revealed to the police) - but whatever there is nothing unusual about people hanging out with criminals. Often they are interesting people. The police don't bother people for sharing a drink and hookah with someone with a criminal history. This is 21st century America, not Casablanca.

What state did this occur in?

xylene

taking a picture of an id is no different than writing it down, or simply memorizing the information.

PayrollHRGuy

A hookah lounge (also called a shisha bar or den, especially in Britain and parts of Canada, or a hookah bar) is an establishment where patrons share shisha from a communal hookah or which is placed at each table or a bar.

quincy

Right. But there is one called "Shisha Lounge" in California. :)

I agree that "police service" indicates a country other than the US, though.

brandon.may

You guys are correct. This happened in Canada in the province of Alberta. Anyway guys, thanks a lot for the answers. It certainly did put my mind at ease.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">