• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A couple questions for the lawyers on here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ian_Y

This is the best forum I could think to post this in. Let me know if there's a better one.

I have become really interested in law over the past couple days. I am truly interested in becoming a lawyer. Can you guys answer a couple questions for me? Greatly appreciated.

1.) Do you enjoy your job? I'm assuming most of you do, all the lawyers I've talked to do at least.

2.) How's the pay? Do you live comfortably?

3.) How hard was law school? And how long does it generally lost?

4.) How hard was it to get into law school? I have above passing grades, but not all A+'s. Best law school in San Diego area..?

5.) When taking the bar exam, did you all pass first try? Or did it take multiple attempts? Was the bar exam as difficult as everyone says?

6.) Do you have a true passion for what you do?

Sorry if these questions seem naggy. I'm basically on the brink of changing my major, or more accurately, naming a major.

tranquility

Like anyone who has sense from many points of view including state Bar ethical point of view, I'm NOT an attorney, nor do I claim to be one in any way shape or form. I'm merely a consumer with experience in some matters. As such a consumer, I'll take a stab.

1.) Do you enjoy your job? I'm assuming most of you do, all the lawyers I've talked to do at least.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Certain times of year are very tough, but then some are easy.

2.) How's the pay? Do you live comfortably?
I do taxes in a CPA office. (At least that's the simplest way to explain my job.) I've been there a long time and when the principal dies the CPA office will die, but the tax business won't. Which is to say I don't make what the big firms pay. However I am essentially my own boss. "Comfortably", no, I'm married. There was always plenty before, but never enough now. Go figure. (Who knew I *needed* litte things to put under those other things I still don't really know the purpose of.)

3.) How hard was law school? And how long does it generally lost?
I was a night school law school guy. For me, especially during tax season, it was hard. However, all year long it was hard. I did work and law school. Period. But, I was a grind and wanted to learn. I briefed every case and read every guide, outline and text. When you go for you, I think you work harder. I have no idea how hard it would be if I could spend my whole day in study. My school was cheap and, since I wasn't married at the time, I just paid it. When I went to cram sessions at BarBri before the bar, I thought the debt the others had was outrageous. Especially when they clearly didn't understand many things as well as I. (To be fair, my school focused on bar courses. I bet they were better versed in issues like environmental or union legal issues.)

4.) How hard was it to get into law school?
My school was unaccredited and had to take and pass the "mini" bar before the credits would count. Hard test, but not that hard.

5.) When taking the bar exam, did you all pass first try? Or did it take multiple attempts? Was the bar exam as difficult as everyone says?
First try. It is grueling in a physical sense. You are working for days at you mental hardest. Maybe if I was young it would have been easier. But, answer a hundred multi-states and I guarantee the last few you are not spending your full attention upon. And, answer an essay and think you've nailed it because you KNEW that bad boy, sure it took you a little longer than you thought it would, but that's because you just vomited up every issue and discussed it like Judge Hand. Then, the next essay comes and you don't have a fricking clue. You sweat. You want to get up and leave. (Even though I was short on my time budget, I got up to go to the bathroom.) You've got to dig deep and do what you came to do.

Yea, it's hard.

6.) Do you have a true passion for what you do?
I love fighting the government. True, it's just the IRS, but it's still the government.

las365

The real question is, why do you want to be a lawyer? I know different people who have become attorneys for very different reasons, and their happiness in the profession seemed related to that. I am not an attorney but I will take a shot at answering some of your questions.

Some lawyers enjoy their jobs, some do not. Some make very little money, some make a lot of money, most are in between.

Law school is hard, harder for some than for others. If you are not capable of researching by yourself to find out how long law school takes, or what the top rated law schools near San Diego are, I suspect it would be very hard for you.

In my opinion, a law school education is a good education that is useful to many professional undertakings, not just the practice of law.

Ian_Y

I am absolutely capable of doing good independent research. I just felt that since I enjoyed reading others' responses from here, it would be cool to see what other posters think.

Thanks for your replies so far!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">