• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

a dog bite on homeowner's insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TaraMouton

My question is this,on January 16 of this year our beloved lab was hit by a truck one block from our home.Our dog had somehow gotten out of our fenced in back yard. A nineteen yr old stopped to help and our dog bit his finger. We had to put our dog to sleep that night because he was paralyzed and had internal injuries. Now that guy who received medical attention and four stitches in the ER wants us to pay his $4000.00 medical bills. His father has asked us to see if our homeowner's insurance will cover the expense. BUT, am I even responsible to pay? I am afraid of being sued if we don't pay. Tara in Texas

[Edited by TaraMouton on 02-09-2001 at 10:59 PM]

A

apm

You need to check into your state leash laws. If you have a leash law, then legally you are responsible for all actions that your dog does while off the leash and off your property. Most homeowner's insurances will cover this, even some renter's insurances. You should report it right away with all the information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">