• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A few questions about Amazon Wishlists

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DisabledGeek89

What is the name of your state? Virginia

1. Is it legal if I use a pseudonym as the name on my list?

2. Does using one affect my SSI/SSDI at all? I mean I doubt it but better safe than sorry.

3. I know this might not be you guys area of expertise but how safe is my address from thiefs?

quincy

What is the name of your state? Virginia

1. Is it legal if I use a pseudonym as the name on my list?

2. Does using one affect my SSI/SSDI at all? I mean I doubt it but better safe than sorry.

3. I know this might not be you guys area of expertise but how safe is my address from thiefs?
Do you already have an Amazon account? That is step one. Follow the directions for setting up an account.

For an Amazon Wish List, follow the Amazon how-to instructions. You can use the privacy settings for your Wish List to protect your profile information. Your address will remain private unless you specifically choose to disclose it. Depending on your privacy settings, your name and city generally will be public.

SSI/SSDI will be concerned only with income generated that exceeds the allowable amount for your benefit amounts. You should not try to hide income by using an alias.

No personal information is guaranteed safe from identity thieves. Your name and address are considered public information so is available from many sources. If you don’t want your name or address connected to the Wish List, however, that is doable.

Your questions are not really legal questions. Amazon.com is your best source of information for the questions about Amazon.

FlyingRon

Note that SSI isn't just affected by INCOME but also by the total assets. Most personal items that you might get from Amazon gifts are not going to be counted to the $2000 asset limit, but some things are (especially if they are readily convertible back to cash).

There's no real legal issue here. Amazon doesn't require you to disclose your real name on lists. I just tried it and mine actually says "Default Public Name" or some inane thing like that since I never set it apparently.

Of course, you should not trust anything that you do on the internet, Amazon or otherwise, to truly be private. Everything is wide open in the case of some sort of court order (warrant, subpoena) and nothing requires Amazon really to guard your privacy about involuntary disclosures.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
To sum it up:
Absent any attempt to defraud others, the government doesn't give two hoots about what you call yourself (or your "wishlist") on Amazon. The government DOES care about what you may receive as a result of the use of such a "wishlist".

zddoodah

1. Yes.
2. An Amazon wish list has NOTHING to do with social security benefits.
3. Not a legal question.

quincy

1. Yes.
2. An Amazon wish list has NOTHING to do with social security benefits.
3. Not a legal question.
Your Number 2 is incorrect, if you are selling items or are receiving items of monetary value from the Wish List.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your Number 2 is incorrect, if you are selling items or are receiving items of monetary value from the Wish List.
From a pedantic viewpoint, #2 is correct. The wish list itself isn't the problem. The problem is with the items received because of the wish list. (See post #4 in this thread.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">